18.04 Fails to Boot after updates

Hello,

When running updates on 18.04 to 20.04 with kernel 5.4.0.65(recovery) getting the following error;
{ Failure: file system check of the root filesystem failed. The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 requires a manual fsck

Busybox v1.27.2(Ubuntu 1:1.27.2 - Ubuntu3.3) built-in shell (ash) Enter "help" for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs) <this is the prompt I'm left at>

}

When I try to run "fsck" from that prompt I get

fsck from util-linux 2.31.1

How do I run "fsck" from this prompt?

I have backups but need to be able to boot to get to them.

Thanks for the help

Maybe this is useful? https://askubuntu.com/questions/885062/root-file-system-requires-manual-fsck

Please see -

Where it says something like -

To solve initramfs error, you need to repair the filesystem in the corrupted partition using "fsck" command like below:

(initramfs) fsck /dev/sda1 -y

Replace /dev/sda1 with your partition name. In your system, it could be /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1 etc.

Now it will start to fix all bad blocks automatically in the filesystem.

After a couple of minutes, you will see an output like below:

**/dev/sda1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ******* /dev/sda1: 497733/30531584 files (1.5% non-contiguous), ........

Good luck @Subrag

Edit: Also see -

1 Like

Oh, thank you both for the replies!

I found and ran this

fsck -f /dev/sda1

which enabled me to boot again.

Again, thank you both for the replies!

After rebooting and the Software Updater runs, I get "Not all updates can be installed. Run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible"
I ran "Partial Upgrade" once before. Should I run "Partial Upgrade" until this message clears or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks again.
Subrag

1 Like

Ran "sudo apt-get install -f" and that fixed the Partial Upgrade question after Software Updater runs.

Now, been wanting to upgrade to 20.04 and am tempt to click on the "Upgrade to 20.04" button but am apprehensive about doing that. I've never done an "inplace" upgrade before. How has that been working and any suggestions before doing that?

Thanks,
Subrag

My suggestion is to download and burn Ubuntu Mate 20.04 to a USB drive and test it. Then back up all your data on a portable hard drive or other media. Then proceed with the upgrade. Just in case something goes wrong, you never know.

1 Like