18.04 Where is Welcome?

Hi UM folks, just installed 18.04, had a quick play with the “familiar” menu but have reverted to “traditional”. Where has the Welcome gone? I tried to run from a command line but it looks to have been depreciated?

Can we get it back?

1 Like

It’s delivered as a snap now, so this will reinstall it:

snap install --classic ubuntu-mate-welcome

If you’re missing Welcome, you may also need the Boutique:

snap install --classic software-boutique
2 Likes

Thanks will try. #nowreadingallaboutsnaps :smiley:

Any reason why these were not included by default, I like the Welcome screen (I know some don’t)?

It should be included if you install from scratch. If you upgrade from a previous version it is not included for technical reasons because of the change from deb to snap packages.

From final release post almost at the bottom of the post it say

Get the Ubuntu MATE snaps

When the upgrade is complete and you’re logged in, open a terminal and execute:

> snap install ubuntu-mate-welcome --classic
> snap install software-boutique --classic
> snap install pulsemixer

The snap packages above are installed when performing a clean install of Ubuntu MATE 18.04, but are not automatically installed when upgrading from an earlier release.

4 Likes

(There’s a typo in the third command, it should be pulsemixer.)

Thanks all, I missed that in the release notes, oh the excitement must have got to me :wink:

Snaps installed and have learned something new today, thanks folks!

Oh right, I just copy the text from release, have notice it was wrong before, but forgot when I post it, will edit now.

I am thinking of doing the upgrade from 16.04 - 18.04. Just curious if anyone has any regrets doing an upgrade vice a fresh install? Are there any other modifications required besides the ones listed by @ele and others? Will my deb installs carryover?

I just did an upgrade on two machines from 17.10 to 18.04. I caught the release notes reference to installing the snaps, so everything seems to be working well for me. I did install one program from a deb and it still seems to work. I noticed that my PPAs for LibreOffice Fresh and Visual Code were disabled during the upgrade, but the programs are still installed and work, so perhaps those PPAs were re enabled after the upgrade. I’m very happy with the in place upgrade so far.

I noticed that my PPAs for LibreOffice Fresh and Visual Code were disabled during the upgrade, but the programs are still installed and work, so perhaps those PPAs were re enabled after the upgrade.

Every 3rd-party repo is disabled during an Ubuntu upgrade to avoid breaking things. They’re not automatically re-enabled afterwards, you have to do it manually if they’re still relevant. Your softwares still work because the packages are still installed, even if the repo they’re from is disabled.
Some repos are no more relevant because the packages they provide are already at a newer version in the Ubuntu repos. That’s the case for LibreOffice, which is already at version 6.0.3 without the PPA.

Note that while disabled, your PPAs have been upgraded to the new version if the upgrade process could identify the previous version. E.g. if you upgrade from Artful (17.10) to Bionic (18.04), the PPA that were for Artful are updated to Bionic. But if for some reason they were for an older version, they haven’t changed. Repos that were already disabled (like Source repos which usually are by default) are not updated. Also, the update process is automated but doesn’t check if the PPA actually exist, so it’s possible that a PPA has been switched from Artful to Bionic even if it hasn’t been updated yet or isn’t maintained anymore.

TL;DR: you’ll have to check every 3rd-party repo you used and update/re-enable their sources, then reload and upgrade as usual.

1 Like