[18.10] Why do I get two wi-fi icons in the top status window?

Hello,

I have reinstalled one of my systems using 18.10, connected to wi-fi and one of the first thing that I did was "edit connection" and set a static IP address. Then I have saved, applied and reconnected.

This always worked out fine on LAN and other wi-fi connections.

But this time, I have 2 problems:

1. My wi-fi adapter duplicates IPv4 (the static one I configured and one it picks up by DHCP (so "ip a" shows 2x 192.168.1.x entries);
  2. I now have 2 wi-fi connection status icons in the top hand-right side of the UI.

As a FYI I haven't changed anything major yet in the system (window manager, installed packages, etc) and have kept it very minimal.

After noticing it failed to behave as regular, I deleted the static IP that I had setuped, restarted network manager (sudo service NetworkManager restart) and now I only get this 1 IP (from DHCP) yet there are still 2 wi-fi icons displayed in the top bar.

So I guess those are 2 problems :slight_smile:

As usual, am I alone getting all of this?

I can't speak to problem 1, but I intermittently see two Network Manager icons in 18.04. Sometimes when I boot it's there, other times it's not.

I previously found this thread but it offers no resolution.

Not sure if this is going to help you but I had the same thing happen to me.

Turned out that somehow (likely me as a newbie) had set up an additional panel and toggled the wifi indicator in that. Maybe check to see if you have 2 panels set up on top.

Just a thought....

Hi everyone,
I'm going to explain the only procedure really works for me with this issue, almost in Bionic.
I've spent lot of time resolving duplicate o dissapeared icons or applets, so I think the problem is that Ubuntu is not completly fixed with it (maybe is my impression). Sorry if it's not a very professional or advanced method :slight_smile:
I have ALL launchers in a folder (not applets) in /home/tim/Launchers, previously drag'n'dropped from Desktop. So, only i have to do is drop it again from this folder to the ubuntu bar, and save panel (Mate Tweak).
Then, you must open your panel files:

/usr/share/mate-panel/layouts/xxxx.panel
/usr/share/mate-panel/layouts/xxxx.layout

Inside xxx.panel you can see object-id-list (numbers), and several blocks of applets and launchers, like this:

[objects/object-62]
applet-iid='NotificationAreaAppletFactory::NotificationArea'
locked=true
toplevel-id='toplevel-0'
position=1067
object-type='applet'
panel-right-stick=false

[objects/object-3]
locked=true
launcher-location='/home/tim/Launchers/gufw.desktop'
toplevel-id='toplevel-3'
position=140
object-type='launcher'
panel-right-stick=false

Every block specificates the launcher or applet, the bar ('toplevel-0', 'toplevel-3'), position in bar, and other information (it's important to understand it).
I edited manually all blocks from zero, but this is not necessary in fact.
Then, literally COPY ALL xxxx.panel content inside xxxx.layout, replacing all (simple).
Mate tweak - change for ex. to Familiar, and again to your xxxx panel.
With your launchers folder, xxxx.panel file, and xxxx.layout file, it's easy to backup all your launchers, applets, positions and bars on reinstalling Ubuntu. Of course, avoiding duplicate icons or launchers.

Hope it helps you.