[20.04.1] Problem with my sound... version 2021!

Several full moons ago, I had issues with my sound. Something about ALWAYS having to switch to my prefered soundcard for my sound/volume to work.

I therefore created this thread and had a lot of good answers coming off it:

Now the problem I have is practically the same. What changed however was 2 years of development and (at least) 1 full reformat/reinstall. Yet, no progress.

Welcome to January 2021, where I am running 20.04.1-latest and (still!) have both a HDMI and a realtek sound interface but am still wanting to only use one of the two...

So I finally created /etc/modprobe.d/snd-blacklist.conf per what used to work in that previous thread I mentionned and... it doesn't work anymore. Even after I rebooted.

So I ask this great community once again: what does a user needs to do in 2021 for his/her favorite sound card to be stay selected as default after reboot?

Bonus question: what would I need to do for the exact OPPOSITE result on a laptop? (When it boots, it should disable analog and default to hdmi, as it doesn't seem to be wanting to do that either and, because of that very simple need, my mom still refuses to run Linux :frowning: )

Cheers!

#YearOfTheLinuxDesktop