[20.04 Mate] Add Hidden Extras to Top Panel

gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.datetime custom-time-format '%a %d %b, %H:%M'
Unable to change the date format even by taping the command in the shell... A bug ?

1 Like

Hi @monsieurzik,

this will only work, if time-format key is set to 'custom'.

2 Likes

Already done ... Tried several times

What is the output from these commands?
gsettings get com.canonical.indicator.datetime time-format
gsettings get com.canonical.indicator.datetime custom-time-format

3 Likes

It's OK now. With the commands you ask for, I have understand that i didn't set "time format" on "custom".
It's working like a charm now. Thanks again.

3 Likes

Thank you. I've trying to figure out how to do this. Guess it pays to look around this forum. Again, thanks.

2 Likes

VLC recently hosed up my Panel clock, so this thread was super helpful AGAIN! :smiley:
I'd already fixed the VLC issue by turning off the panel icons in VLC Prefs, but the clock had reverted to default settings when I reset the Panel. It's great having day/month/date/h/m/s back thanks to the helpers here, so this is by way of another big Thank You.
Also, to extol the virtues of dconf Editor that's been so helpful for other tweaks, and for carefully getting a better idea of what's going on "behind the scenes" in Ubuntu. So thank you also for introducing those of us not already aware of it, to that app!

Man OH man, MY oh MY -- does this have 'feature request' written all over it.

:wink:

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I have my preferred date/clock back.

2 Likes

Your tutorial works fine for 20.04, but I have 20.10 as well on my laptop.
On 20.10 in dconf there is not the path com->canonical->indicator. Do you know the path?

1 Like

Sorry for this. I got it is org->ayatana->indicator.

1 Like

Thanks Smurf. That's surely going to be helpful as more of us move to update. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you very much for this post!

I came here by way of Vivaldi, believe it or not. The clock set in the bottom right corner depends on how the system time is set and the only way to make it show a twelve hour day was to adjust things in the system itself on Ubuntu-Mate 21.10. I'm specifically making this post so that hopefully anyone else looking for a solution will find it in the future.

#vivaldi #time #twevelehourday

1 Like

I just noticed your comment, and without really understanding the details it's still great to see that having it here may be helpful for others. Thanks. :+1:

1 Like

I've appreciated all the contributions to this topic yet again while upgrading from 20.04LTS to 22.04LTS. This time I realized why my latest dconf-tweaked datetime string varied on my cramped Panel. It automatically leaves space for leading zeroes in hours (e.g. " 4:53:00,05Mon" has a space for later when it's 10:53:00). So now I'm using 05Mon10:53:00 (%d%a%l:%M:%S) without the comma since day of week always ends lower case providing enough differentiation for readability for those 3 hours after 9:59:59 twice daily. I can add a dot after %a later if desired, for 05Mon.10:53:00 that adds only half a space.

Penguin, how did you set it in the system? I've upgraded to UbuM 22.04.2LTS and can't get my short datetime format back with dConf in the Ayatana or "indicatorcomplete" settings.

Also, per the ever-helpful Ironfoot I tried this with no effect:

gsettings set org.ayatana.indicator.datetime custom-time-format '%d%a%l:%M:%S'

Hi, @JohnW ,

you have to edit TWO keys to setup custom datetime format.

1. set indicator to custom format mode:
    gsettings set org.ayatana.indicator.datetime time-format 'custom'
  2. provide custom format string:
    gsettings set org.ayatana.indicator.datetime custom-time-format '%d%a%l:%M:%S'

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I'd have testified under oath to having done exactly those previously well-documented steps last night. Even after reboot they had zero effect! Doing them just now, my long lost datetime favorite instantly and magically reappeared.

Two lessons emerge from this experience:

1. Mustachioed Ironman is The Man. :trophy:
  2. Never work into the wee hours trying to revive an ailing computer.

Thank you yet again, kind sir.

3 Likes

You are welcome @JohnW !
After upgrade you may have keys for both canonical indicator (old) and ayatana indicator (new) in your dconf database, and that's a little bit confusing.

1 Like