22.04 Preview of file on the desktop

Oh , before I give up totally. Try this:

sudo apt install --reinstall caja-extensions-common

It could be that it is damaged or partly installed (or not installed at all), and you likely need it.

Sorry, was not the solution. I reinstalled the package and restated the laptop, but I still see the Adobe logo.

I manually cleaned the cache (~/.cache), no results.
I tried to change the default PDF reader, no results.
I removed (purge) and installed again Atril, no results.

1 Like

Have you tried deleting the thumbnail cache ?

rm -r  $HOME/.thumbnails/*

(afterwards logout and login again)

Actually the command is rm -r $HOME/cache/.thumbnails/* but doesn't do the magic.

Actually the command is rm -r $HOME/cache/.thumbnails/* but doesn't do the magic.

Accordig to freedesktop.org that is correct, or to be precise: that should be correct.
As a matter of fact, there are two places where thumbnails are stored (at least on my systems):

$HOME/cache/.thumbnails/
and
$HOME/.thumbnails

No more ideas to fix this problem?

Hi, @smurf (Luca DG),

Besides the good suggestions that @tkn (thom) has already given you here in this topic, I've found the following similar Topic / Conversation ("Can't get PDF Thumbnails") here in the "Ubuntu MATE Community", started by @koana33 (Dakinu) about 2 years ago (on June 2020):

Reading that topic, it seems that one other thing you might still check is to ensure that the "Document Viewer" in the "Office" tab in "Preferred Applications" is set to "Atril Document Viewer" as @olek (Alexandre) shows at the end of the following message in that other Topic:

I hope this helps in some way.

1 Like

Hi ricmarques,
thx for your reply.
Yes it was marked with Atril, I tried to change it and reboot, but nothing changed.

1 Like

Just to let you know.
In the last week I didn't do nothing more to try to fix the problem. This morning I booted the laptop and magically I see that the pdf files on the desktop have the preview in the icons, but the files in folders and sub folders don't.
Weird.

speaking of reboot... have you tried completely shutting down (not a reboot)... I have seen that fix things and I think a reboot is different than a complete shutdown/restart. Worth a shot.

Yes, oif course, every single day in the night I completely shut down my laptotp.
Anyway is surprising that if I move a PDF files from the desktop to a folder the preview disappears and the adobe logo appears.

That is very strange indeed :woman_shrugging: Now you have me thinking. I will see what my Ubuntu MATE 22.04 system does with PDF thumbnails

Hello
Not an answer but in my UM22.04.1 the preview seems to work ok. I had to enable as prefer to have them off. Also in my folders with pdfs they show previews

Top is pdf on Desktop and open folder on right
Bottom is Desktop and pdf now in open folder

I attach a short video to let you see what happens on my system.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dT7JhffctQFzVeVJxhvHsvDeRH-4NnMW/view?usp=sharing

OK as in you video go to the folder that doesn't change while Desktop shows preview, and View / Reload. Also while in this state open a folder with pdf's in it to see if it shows previews.
Edit: On my system it shows preview on Desktop but not on open folder until I reload, but if I open a new folder it shows the previews.

I can confirm that on my system the thumbnails are in Caja as well as on the desktop for PDF's

Hi Mendy.
I tried to reload the folder after changing the option, but nothing changes .
The same opening a new folder.

Ok not able to determine the trigger of issue but seems like a workaround of sorts on my system is in folder Ctrl r or View Reload. Pardon big Desktop area (bug in tracker where drag and drop doesn't place where dropped). One shows reloading on Desktop folder on right side for problem on Desktop and other reloading in Anderson Windows folder. Sorry couldn't help can't quite figure what triggers it. Seems to vary when trying different combinations.

Ok, Finally we can say that this is a bug. I'll try to fill a bug report.