2nd GPU selection/activation

Hello Community wizards.

I’ve switched recently to Mate on my laptop and I’m really happy with it. All smooth out of the box

Now I’m having an issue with a barebone, I’m “preparing for modern life”, that has been given as a gift.

It has and integrated GPU that doesn’t cut it anymore, and Iḿ trying to install a modern second one on a pcie the motherboard has.

Trouble comes when the BIOS doesn’t let me to disable the integrated graphics card.

After a lovely lspci i get the following:
lspci | grep VGA
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 128b (rev a1)

At the moment Linux is using the first one by default.
How do i tell Mate to use the second one?

Thanks a lot folks!

First off , thanks for the lspci info.

Have you tried to change the display settings to the other screen?
Some older version of Mate/Ubuntu I had simply to disconnect my screen from on GPU meanwhile the computer was off and plug it to the right one.

The GPU send a Acknowledgement that something is connected into it to the Kernel/OS.
So it might use the other GPU output instead.

Hi again!.

Thanks a lot enterdavertex for the suggestion.

Unfortunately did not work. To put it simple, nothing happens, screen is black and no activity on the screen at all.

Also tried creating a new Xorg and “forcing” it to switch to the GPu i want to… But every single time i try and reboot, Mate renames the file to xorg.confXXXXXXX (X as number) and my attempt is completely futile.
Don know where to continue.

Thanks a lot anyways. Really appreciated!

Hi miguelangelriveiro,

The problem is maybe the lack of communication with the Xorg components & configuration with the Nvidia driver.

Which driver have you used for the installation on your machine ?
Which GPU is showing the image right now ? The Integrated or the External?

Hi enterdavertex!!!!

FIrst, thanks again SIr!

Atm I'm using the integrated as I am rendered totally unable to make the pcie gpu work.

I'm attaching here a pic of the drivers working atm.

Any other drivers combination results in a broken graphics server in the integrated and no signal from the pcie GPU whatsoever.

Thanks a lot beforehand!!!

All the best,

Miguel