64-bit Ubuntu MATE images for 32-bit EFI Macintosh Computers

I know it's a bit late but here is a copy of the iso2mac program I used compiled for OSX 10.7.5 just download it and put it in the same directory the iso you want to make compatible then run from the terminal: ./iso2mac nameofimage.iso it should complete almost instantly.

Edit to add link to program: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wmNyz9zSc9QhV3zvnJGwmC-L1OAKyQhO

1 Like

Here is a link to the 20.04 iso I made. It does not work properly if using the standard nVidia GeForce 7300GT that came with the Mac Pro so will need to upgrade video cards and no way for me to test it since that is the card I currently have installed.

Ubuntu MATE 20.04 AMD64+MAC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JcE4IV_OZyYBWgF9tKZsjmUf3nDb1Gd_

2 Likes

Hi there,

FIrst off: Thanks for these loads! I was looking for an Ubuntu load to re-ignite an old Macbook 2.2 for a friend, that worked fine, but was stuck on OS 10.6.8. After trying some other loads (doing research on the Intel Core 2 Duo/32bit EFI issue lead me here; I could not get any loads from Matt Gadient's site to boot), I decided to go with MATE 20.04. I was able to get it to install...now the fun begins!

Some quick thoughts: I love the look of the desktop, and the UI tweaks that are available. Browsing sites looks incredibly crisp, and video on things like CNN, BBC and YouTube look good (420p runs fine, 720p choppy but understood from HW).

I'll add some things quirks I've found, and try to post solutions (if I can find them) for others, as I think this is a great thing to do.
My specs:Processor 2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mem: 3Gb 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Model ID: MacBook Pro2.2 2006
HDD 200GB drive
-> I decided to blow away the Mac OS completely, and run MATE 20.04. NOTE: I did testing, and the install, based on a DVD burn. It seemed to work - this was easier than getting a USB/bootloader SW for me, as I didn't have any USB keys lying around, but plenty of DVD's...

1. I had asked for the 'login automatically' at install, but it seems I have to put in the password at every login. I'll see if there's a setting to change that
  2. Sleep mode: after the first restart to complete the install, I found that the screen would not light up. I noticed the MATE symbol very faint in the screen, but it was still black, with no real keyboard access. It looks like the sleep mode gets stuck - after banging on some keys, I seem to be able to get it working by closing the screen, and slowly opening about 3 degrees to see the screen light up and reflect on the keyboard.I've had to do this HW workaround several times to get it to finally wake up. So: I'm not sure this is HW, I have seen some things on similar behaviour in other forums, I'll have to see if there's a SW fix that works, and will post if I do
  3. Rhythmbox: I tried to burn (extract) a CD (yes, some people still do this), and when I tried this, the app would crash immediately, with a bug report. I tried to download Clementine,
    but found that this app does not identify tracks/album etc. Which seems to be a limitation of Clementine, so I did not bother to see if it would burn a CD.
  4. Trackpad: scrolling on websites seems a little wonky, it can be harder to have a smooth scroll on FIrefox. This may need tweaking, I'll have to investigate.

I believe this OS will enable this Macbook new life as a simple task machine: Internet, email, videos, which it is intended for. Again, many thanks for your work on providing these loads, it's much appreciated!

1 Like

I'm glad it works for you. I currently have no way of testing 20.04 on my intel mac due to it not being compatible with the video card so still running 18.04 on my machine. Will be looking into it eventually when I do get the funds to purchase a newer video card.

Should i download this for macbook 3,1 (Late 2007 White) ?

Hi Ktrad!! Thanks a lot for your help and for sharing all your experience.
I've been trying to revive a MacBook Pro 2,2... Step by step. First, I had to cook the laptop with a blanket as I suffered some years ago from the ATI conexion... solved!!. Then, I wanted to install a Linux but after using >10DVD's with several suggestions... well, it was impossible. I even tried yours modded distributions, but I was impossible to boot from an external DVD (the original broken down also some years ago and I replaced it with a second HDD, being the main an SDD). Anyway. Good news is that I finally managed to boot from an USB using YUMI BIOS/UEFI in a Mac with High Sierra using Wine. All went well until Mate 20.04 refused to continue with the booting... any suggestions?

Cheers,

Jordi

Followint my last comment... i am stuck at the boot... it seems that is not recognizing the ATI card of my MPB 2,2...

THANK YOU for the ISO images here...

I have an old Imac mid-2006 intel, white plastic case. It has been sitting on a shelf literally for 10+ years.

Evaluating this MATE distribution for other reasons (raspberry PI), I stumbled onto a whim that I could maybe try running this distro on this old Imac. At first I tried the i386 release 18.04 from the downloads page. Slow and clanky as expected, but somewhat useable. meh.

Then I stumbled upon this thead, and tried the 20.04 ISO posted by KTrad. OMG what an improvement. I am able to run this machine with the latest 64bit kernel.. it is responsive and smooth with some light doomscrolling in chromium, can use it to ssh out to my other machines, I even took a zoom call on it. A NICE retro piece. I would not have believed that this could be done with a 15 year old box.

Even better: I can boot this kernel standalone to kodi-19 and stream live or recorded tv from my mythtv pvr! Unreal, it doesn't even lag once i turned off interlacing.

Again thanks to user KTrad for posting that ISO.. really a success story for this Imac, I'm still pinching myself, a great time killer project LOL, my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Next, I have a BIG 24-inch late 06 Imac of the same stripe which has Nvidia hardware issues (driver version 304 unsupported) which I have not been able to get working to my satisfaction yet. That's another thread.

cheers -bruce.

4 Likes

You are a legend thank you so much

1 Like

Thank you so much. I am a nitwit, but you made it possible to make it clear to me.Mac is lovely on Mate 20.4. Bless you!

Thanks a lot. Made my Mac Pro 2.66 bought for cheap work perfectly.

KTrad thanks for this, great work. I installed 20.04 version in 2 tablets efi 32 and run smoothly.
Mattgradient version are only for DVD install, my 5.1 Imac has a not working DVD drive.
Since mac can boot from usb, do you now if there any procedure to make your mate 20.04 booteable for mac?

Thansk a lot.

Finally i create a booteable usb with Rufus adding efi32 capability, etcher does not work for me.
Mac 5.1 totally working, good response with SSD, 4GB...except for the rv530/x1600 drivers, i could boot up with nomodeset, video aceleration is not posible so far.

I'm stuck, sorry.
I'm using USB flash drive to boot, as the CD drive is dead long time ago.
First, you talk about Mac's with EFI32, but BOOTIA32.EFI is missing, as well as groubia32.efi. Why not to include them into the ISO? I've done that, and the installer starts from USB, though after manual set of the path to grub.cfg. Of course, it goes with "safe graphics" only.
Second, the installer fails at the very end with message like "Can't write grub-efi-32 to /target/", whatever it means. It reports also that the system will not boot because of this error. Nevertheless it reboots and starts with desktop. Then I press "Shutdown" button in the menu and it turns off. And yes, it never boots again, just as it was promised.

So, any help with grubia32 installation would be highly appreciated!
Thank you.

Please help me! I can't create an ISO of Zorin OS lite 16 64bit for my 2006 iMac (Intel core2duo with 32-bit EFI)!

As far as I know, it was officially introduced with the G4 AGP Graphics towers and it was very much something you had the option to do if you had a USB hard drive -- you could access any bootable partition from the option-key menu. Here's a LEM article I found dated 1999 that mentions USB boot.
For some reason, probably relating to USB 2.0, they dropped the option key USB boot starting around 2003ish (my iBook G3 900MHz still has it but my iBook G4 doesn't), but it was still possible from OpenFirmware.

Also, any chance of a torrent? I've been trying to download this for the last few days and every time it gets to 2.16GB, it just sputters out. Literally, it starts for a few seconds, stops for a second, and on until it just totally fails. I'm assuming this is on Google Drive's end, because every other large file I've downloaded so far from other sites have downloaded perfectly fine.

Due to space restrictions on my Google drive I had to temporarily remove them. I will find a better place to upload them as well as make a 22.04 release, however like 20.04 due to my graphics card I will be unable to test, however an upgraded graphics card should fix the issue it's just been a low priority upgrade for me given limited funds and relegating the mac to my child to use.

However, I did notice the original link to the binary wasn't available anymore so I include the copy( iso2mac - Google Drive ) I use so that you can make your own. Just make it executable and run

./iso2mac /path/to/64bit/iso /output/path/isoname.iso

So a year late but interesting to know. I have tried on many different PPC macs and have never been able to get one to boot from OpenFirmware to a USB drive. Not from lack of trying it's just never worked be it a Pismo G3, clamshell iBook G3, iBook G3, iBook G4, powermac G3/4/5, iMac G3/4/5 so might just be bad luck or the drives weren't compatible because I know old computers were finicky with that.

That's why I just always keep an SSD in a FireWire 800 enclosure as any PPC mac will boot from it without issue.

Again sorry I'm a little over a year late but the last year was not a good one for me so didn't have much time to mess around or even think of checking here.

2 Likes

Please, the liks to download are dead, please update it, thanks so much !

1 Like

Welcome @Angelo_JR to the community!