A complete shutdown

Linux distros…including UM will not completely shutdown. It’s just like a restart. The power goes off for 1 second and then comes back on and reboots UM. I hate to mention Windows 7 but it will completely shut off the power. I love UM and want it to shut off the power. Right now when the power goes off for that second, I switch off the power switch in the back of the computer. I even put in the command shutdown -Ph now
It just doesn’t power down and stop.
The windows command is shutdown /s I tried that in UM but to no avail.

I don’t know what could be wrong to make your computer restart instead of just shutting down when you tell it to.

The shutdown command which seems to work best for me is as follows,

sudo shutdown -h now

Maybe try that and see if it makes any difference.

Maybe you installed Ubuntu MATE in UEFI mode?

If you want Linux to have full control over your hardware Legacy mode is better.

“UEFI OS” is proprietary and not to be trusted. It’s powerful and sits close to hardware. If you like FOSS - Free Open Source Software - think of UEFI as the exact opposite.

I can’t help but think that some of the shutdown, sleep, hibernation, wake up problems I have seen on this forum are related to the fact that people install in UEFI mode.

In my book that’s a big no-no.

Sorry if this wasn’t related to your problem.

Try using
sudo poweroff

I tried this but didn’t work…It still rebooted.

Tried…but still rebooted.

mrtribute…how can I tell if UM was installed in UEFI mode?
Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Grub2win on my windows hard drive says the boot mode is BIOS. I don’t know if that means windows or Grub2win.

You can check in your computer BIOS which mode is used.

Press F2 or Esc (repeatedly) when you power on your computer to enter the BIOS menu/Computer setup. You should be able to see which mode (boot mode) your computer operates in.

Warning: If you change boot mode in BIOS then your installed operating systems might not boot or might not work correctly.

Another method: Start Synaptic Package Manager and see if grub-pc package is installed. It’s GRUB for BIOS.

grub-efi-amd64 is the GRUB package for UEFI.

I just downloaded 16.10 beta 2 and the updates…It isn’t shutting down either. How do I load in a Legacy mode?

You probably boot in Legacy mode.

I found this picture that shows Grub2win in EFI mode:

Have you tried a Linux distro that is not based on Debian/Ubuntu? If this problem is not related to UEFI then trying another distro might be a good test.

Maybe this can be of some help:

I think you can look at the initial boot screen of Ubuntu MATE to determine if it is booting in UEFI or Legacy mode. If you see a "themed" (grey, transparent) screen with selections:

Try Ubuntu MATE without installing
Install Ubuntu MATE
Check memory
etc

you are booting in Legacy mode. If you see the same screen without theming (black background, white text) you are booting in UEFI mode.

I will try to find a link that shows the difference.

Found it. This site shows the difference in Ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI10

With Legacy the boot screen is themed. With UEFI the boot screen has no theming. I think this applies to Ubuntu MATE as well, but I am not 100 % sure.

Taken from this thread: