About the Software Boutique Organization

I don’t know about you, but the icons describing software categories are not intuitive to me at all.
I absolutely have to hover to understand what each category contains.
I know vertical space is a premium but I think the textual description for each icon should always be visible.

Also an idea:
I think the Programming and Server categories are of limited interest to 90% of the user base, and we still have space in the windows bar (with the GTK3 buttons like Search) could we have an “Advanced User Mode” button there that would switch the main view to a new window that would contain “Programming”, “Server”, and why not a “Sysadmin” category?

What do you guys think?

1 Like

@lah7 is doing a major boutique rebuild, maybe some of this is covered.

Those flat (FontAwesome) category icons will be replaced with the “actual” icons as seen in the Applications menu, so it remains familiar to the new user.

I’ve been thinking of an icon and label approach, so we must be on to something. :slight_smile:

I think categories will remain as close to the Applications menu as possible, but there could be “collections” of sorts that can group together interests, such as system admin, musical, multimedia enthusiasts, etc.

4 Likes