Access to inactive partitions with a password

I have prepared the startup so that only some partitions are loaded, for efficiency issues also out but if I wanted the partitions not active / not loaded I could access only by entering the password what should I set?
Thank you.

You can create luks-encrypted partitions. I have described a procedure to do this here:

This solution is good but I would still like to know if it is possible to do what I ask.
Hello.

Hello @Labbing, if you create luks-encrypted partition like @ouroumov suggested, you would be prompted to enter a password when you mounted the partition. This is the only way that I know of to do what you are asking.

What I request is normal in linux. In Ubuntu Mate I do not understand why it’s not possible. I tried Debian Mate if I load some partitions the others are accessible with password (user) as default.

If I’m understanding you correctly, you have some partitions that are not set to auto-mount when your system boots. Then when you mount the unmounted partitions in Debian Mate it ask you for your user password?

If the above is true, is the user root enabled on your Debian system, or are you using sudo for system wide changes?

Yes, by default.

I have the root user enabled and I use sudo when I’m a user.

Bye.

I will throw a rock into the conversation and add I think what you maybe missing is cryptsetup. this is how I use my encrypted partitions.

sudo apt install cryptsetup

With my encrypted partitions I don't set anything, No need to let the PC know, not to look there, and when I want to open one of them I do in in the file-browser caja.

Maybe Not

1 Like

When you disabled mounting of the partitions on boot up, was this done by editing mount options, removing, or commenting them out in /etc/fstab ?

If this is the case, it could be that since the partitions was not mounted during boot time, and thus not given the proper permissions for a standard user to mount through /etc/fstab, then the password prompt you are seeing in Debian is the need for administrator password to mount the partition. Typically in a standard Linux environment, only root can mount a volume. Of course there are ways around this, such as fstab entries, groups, and so on.

I would suggest the reason your not seeing the same behavior in Ubuntu Mate, would have to do with how the two operating systems are mounting the partitions from the GUI, and or what groups your two different users belong to.

I would like ubuntu mate to behave in a standard way. It’s possible? I do not know the difference between the two linux systems for users and groups. is there a solution?

It’s a solution that I do not like, thanks the same.

You could open a terminal in each system and run the groups command. This would allow you to compare the different groups that each user belongs to. There is something different in the configurations between the two systems. Keep digging and you will eventually find out what it is.

`
groups
op-ubuntumate adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

groups
root`

Because instead in the control panel “System-> Users and Groups-> Advanced Settings-> User Privileges” it is also not expected to “Access unmounted partitions (Linux standard) (yes / no)”
Bye.