Add Appindicator bus to the Viber Flatpak

Hello Everyone!

Does anyone know what the variable name I need to add to either the System bus or the Session bus settings in the Viber Flatpak so that the app can hook into AppIndicator applet & appear in the system tray?

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

2 Likes

Probably you have to check this issue page Systray icon is missing · Issue #4 · flathub/com.viber.Viber · GitHub .
There are two possible solutions involving org.kde.*:

flatpak run --own-name='org.kde.*' com.viber.Viber
flatpak override --user --own-name='org.kde.*' com.viber.Viber

Just curious - which application is shown on your screenshot?

Thanks @Norbert_X, the 1st command worked like a charm! I just added --own-name='org.kde.*' to the command path of the Main Menu launcher:

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --own-name='org.kde.*' --command=viber com.viber.Viber

I was messing around with adding that setting through the Flatseal but it didn't work as I clearly didn't know what I was doing!

The app in the screenshot is Flatseal. You can install it through Flathub:

flatpak install flathub com.github.tchx84.Flatseal

As Flatpak doesn't have permission integration in Gnome Software (like Snaps do), this is the only way to edit Flatpak permissions in a gui - which is perfect for users like me! But the Flatpak permissions are definitely far more complicated than the Snap ones!

I stumbled on the app while watching a video by DorianDotSlash - here's the link if you want to have a look at his explanation of how to edit permissions with Flatseal:

1 Like