Almost impossible to copy files with Caja

I use Mate 20.04 in a multi-user environment and the server shares are used with pam_mount: https://github.com/dane-lyon/clients-linux-scribe/blob/master/ubuntu-et-variantes-integrdom_20_04.sh#L436

The problem is the following. If I copy - paste a folder from the server (mounted locally on the machine) to another caja window, the copy starts and then stops very quickly as shown in this picture:

Opérations sur les fichiers_002
I have to stop with xkill.

On the other hand, if I open a new tab, the copy is done normally.

I specify that I had the same behavior with Mate 16.04

I don't know how to have logs... Do you have any ideas?

Hello bristow

Would 'Grsync' be an option for you? :slightly_smiling_face:

No, this is not an option. It's just to be able to copy - paste files from the server to the local computer... or vice versa.

Hello Bristow.
I faced a file sharing SNAFU between several PCs all using U/M which may be similar to your problem in some ways.
My conclusion is that open file sharing has been made into an arcane part of the Linux ecosystem in general, and good, clear info is almost non-existent.

I solved this problem by using SSHFS after posting about this here at this forum and doing a tremendous amount of testing, searching & reading about samba, NFS and anything else I was able to find.

Here is my thread about this subject:

Searching at this forum does also reveal quite a few mentions of SSHFS, but my path into it did not come from here at all and I do have some saved notes about the process used in case I need to be reminded how it was done at some future date.

Best Wishes for Success !!

Thank you @computerguy for taking the time to reply.

So I take it that this is not a problem with Ubuntu Mate and Caja but rather a global problem with Linux and network shares. It's surprising though. At home, i have Linux workstations with NFS mounted Synology NAS and I have no problems.

It's a good idea to use something else. It's too bad for me, I can't go back. I hope I won't have too many problems with the students... Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Hello and Thanks Bristow.
Since 99% of the folks I've assisted came to U/M from the 'w' thing - any with LAN experiences were all quite accustomed to open, very simple file sharing...
So:
My preferred goal was aimed at duplicating that idea as closely as possible.

When there is just a small LAN with several users and the focus is upon working with documents and NOT with internet stuff, there is every reason for said files, directories & partitions as are needed to be fully unsecured and wide open for uses.

Sadly for such folks' needs Linux DEMANDS to secure - secure - secure EVERYTHING as mush as possible as a sort of baseline;
Superb when internet centered of course - but for these purposes ??
A real, genuine pain (and truly excessive).

Still I am glad to have found out about & put SSHFS into place because it is the closest approach I could find to open file sharing & makes U/M into a more user friendly environment for folks who are devoutly non-tech oriented.

I knew for some years that things were coming along for the 'w' stuff which would create a need for me to leave it behind - both occupationally and personally (since UCITA, ~1998) as it became 'rentware'.

That is very actively in progress after their transitional OS things worked their users into accepting ever less & less control over their own PCs.

Makes me glad to be 'an old guy' who has made the complete journey AWAY from such poor (IMO) OS choices - and the folks whom I remain connected with for support purposes are also quite content to have all but completely forgotten the incessant needs for rebooting along with the periodic BSODs, which are missed by...nobody, EVARR !!

Best Wishes to You in Your Efforts.

caja's file transfer code has been broken since it was still Nautilus. Some days it works, some days it crashes (taking every other caja window with it, which is infuriating when you have multiple windows with multiple tabs), some days it locks up halfway through leaving "invulnerable" temporary files on the target, and so on.

This is absolutely a problem with the (now- inherited) GNOME code specifically, and mostly unrelated to the security theater that @computerguy (justifiably) objects to. Short of someone with the time and energy to actually wade through the code and fix it though, things aren't going to get any better.

Generally, you can avoid the bugs by never doing more than one file operation at a time, but that's about the best you can hope for.

1 Like