Anyone getting the "forum read only mode" message?

hi all,

as the title states, I keep getting the following message:

but I can post most of the time!.

@Wimpy, are you behind this as its 06:19 here in Germany and I can't imagine you are up working on your PC yet?. :smiley: I know you said there would be maintenance work on the forum!. :smiley:

I have a different problem, if I open the post which i have in Unread and want to return to the community home page i get 404 error until I delete all cookies related to this site. then it works OK.

1 Like

Saw that a lot in the past few days. Not yet today though.
I’m assuming this is due to the server transition @wimpy talked about.
Probably some rough edges to smooth.

1 Like

Hi @skeleton,

that may be down to how you have your security set in your browser (assuming FireFox)?. :smiley:

yes. I use firefox (not friend with chrome). i get the error in work win7 (we have a strict security policy i cant change anything no admin rights) and also at home when I run mate 1404 exclusively.

It’s a temporary glitch, the new servers are working, but the old one remains in “read-only” mode.

Our ISP’s DNS servers are possibly causing this, since their DNS records may be taking a long time to update. :turtle:

1 Like

Well get that big spanner out Luke and give it a big bashing!. :smiley:

By "our ISPs" I mean yours, mine, all of them. DNS can take a while to update across the internet.

Either that, or something keeps trying to talk back to the old server? :confused:

:wrench: :computer: :earth_africa: :fire:

1 Like

Just as I clicked on this link to see what message you had left, it popped up again, your 2nd answer does clarify it a tad better though thanks!. :smiley:

Not seeing any problem on this side of the pond.

1 Like

In northeastern US the message is present - when crtl-f5 is executed the message disappears. Of course it reappears after a few more posts are examined.

1 Like

I think it is because there is a time lapse in the U S of A @anon42388993, or the NSA/CIA got to it first !

1 Like

Hi all, this is still happening and really becoming a pain, can someone ( @Wimpy, @lah7 ) fix it please!. :frowning:

I’m still getting it in US. The DNS system might be still updating or there’s a ‘mirrored’ server that hasn’t been updated.

Ctrl-f5 clears it for me every time, however after a few clicks around the town it reappaears

It comes and goes, I just wish it would go!. :smiley:

2 Likes

This is a minor annoyance for those of us who regularly login …
I wonder what new users reaction might be??

I tried to create a temp account with another eamil address & user name and received this:
400 Bad Request Request Header Or Cookie Too Large

I’ve just given the nginx configuration a tweak and a stern talking to. Let me know if things are improved.

4 Likes

I hope you waved a big stick at it as well @Wimpy!. :smiley:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.