Anyone interested in industry-wide thoughts, feedback, and plans?

[quote=“marfig, post:20, topic:13633”]The popularity of the genre has little impact.[/quote]Actually, the popularity has tremendous impact. In fact, I would have to completely disagree with you. The technological requirements of a MOBA aren’t all that severe. Well, not on the client side of things anyhow. Trust me on that, I logged quite a bit of time into several MOBAs and MOBA-like titles throughout the years.

Graphically, they’re not really all that complex and on the CPU end the demands are extremely low, typically. Case in point, this very PC. It will run HOTS just fine, via WINE. It will not run other games nearly as well. No discrete GPU, a measly quadcore APU (and not the fastest or latest either).

Personally, I feel other genres would stand to benefit a lot more from what Vulkan can and does offer – FPS, Racing, RPG. The truly more demanding titles, that push both GPU and CPU hard. With Vulkan taking a great deal of load off the CPU and making better use of modern CPUs and GPUs.

No, the fact Dota 2 is such a big showcase for Vulkan is its very popularity and the tremendous impact Valve can have on the industry. Both Valve and Dota 2 are major players, one in gaming in general and one in eSports. Adopting Vulkan is basically leading by example there.

Nah that’s DOOM.
No, it’s DOOM. Before you hit that reply button just watch some videos. I know, MOBAs tend to be interesting for the players (not to mention cash prizes) but for me as an outside viewer, that kind of stuff is as interesting as watching a game of Battleship.

Being in first-person with an angry man in a green suit on Mars with the intent and capability to rip demon bodies in half with his bare hands? Now that’s cooking with gas. Having a dynamic industrial glitch terror metal soundtrack backing it? That’s just gravy. Lots and lots of gravy.

[quote=“tiox, post:22, topic:13633”]Before you hit that reply button just watch some videos. I know, MOBAs tend to be interesting for the players (not to mention cash prizes) but for me as an outside viewer, that kind of stuff is as interesting as watching a game of Battleship.[/quote]* Obviously I know DOOM, I do not need to watch some videos. Been a hardcore gamer since the mid 80s and a great fan of DOOM since its first installment.

• I think you’re missing my point. I was talking about the impact the title in question has on the industry in general. Not talking about the technical prowess of Vulkan or the game. Or its visual appeal. Even now, the attention for DOOM has dropped sharply. Good measure of this – Twitch.tv. Not to hark on DOOM, mind you. As I said, I’m a great fan of the series.

Hallo

My beard isn’t even grey, it’s white. Stallman has a vision that embraces human beings and empowers them. The PC industry wants to embrace their money.

When the Software-Industry charges me as an individual ten times the price they charge a university for the same licence to run the same software I really appreciate rms and the work he and others have done for software and user freedom.

The whole concept of “software-as-a-service”, using proprietary formats to store your “creations”, so that when you can no longer pay, or the company does in fact disappear, you can no longer access your “stuff” - well, who thinks that’s a good idea?

I don’t expect professionals to work for nothing. If you volunteer that’s fine, otherwise it’s only fair that you are remunerated for your work - what ever work you do. The whole FOSS “thing” is not perfect, nothing humans do ever is. It hasn’t arrived at all of its goals, but that doesn’t mean that the journey is not worth continuing.

If I had a broken printer, knew how to fix it - but the manufacturer wouldn’t let me… Well, happy I would not be, after all - I bought the printer - or did I only buy the “right” to use the printer until the first time it stopped working?

Any one who writes code does not have to make it free or open source, it’s their creation, it’s their choice. I hope there will continue to be programmers who do. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can tell you right now, the most ideal printer would have easy-to-disassemble components to clean with a steam jet and would allow users to drop in bottles of ink, similar to how Bissell does their easy-fill system. You would just replace the cap, maybe put in some modifier to keep the ink fluid then shove it into its corresponding slot to add the ink in.

Maybe also, said caps would be keyed to only go in one way, and have a bobble similar to those on dehumidifiers, except functioning in reverse; when not enough tension is pulled on a switch because of low ink level, trigger a low ink warning. And the caps wouldn’t just quit working after a certain time.

But you see, that’s too easy for the end user. And too cheap as well, since the first company from fresh who releases such a professional-grade device to the consumer would be out of business shortly after, because of white jacket syndrome; Make something too good and nobody will invest any more money into it.

All of the companies that exist today do everything possible to squeeze every last dollar out of the consumer because if they don’t, then they won’t satisfy shareholders who are expecting the company to make a certain amount of money. No satisfaction from shareholders, less money from them provided. If everyone sells you to death because of that, where do you get the money for raw supplies? Where do you get the money for fabrication? Where do you get the money for future development, for when improvements are released? You simply can’t make something that lasts if you want to stay in the game these days. Every company that had done that in the United States are no longer in business, either because of waning interest in their brand, or their stuff was so good they built themselves out of business.

Software is different, however. Code is forever. That is why manufacturers have to push shiny new devices to us, and why things have to break so easily. A smartphone can last upward of ten years, but if the internal battery soldered onto the logic board no longer functions, most consumers will not solder in a new battery. If a microwave loses the lightbulb during operation and it causes an electrical discharge that jumps from board to board until it fries the processor, it’s more expensive to buy the special components and have them installed new than to buy the microwave. If in a washer / dryer combo unit excess moisture causes an electrical arc which pops any of the diodes or the processor, then most consumers will fall into the same trap as the microwave users I mentioned prior; service is more expensive than buying new, because stockhouses want to get rid of their crap, and OEMs make it impossible to save money unless you fix it yourself, should your warranty be voided, which usually happens shortly before device failure if an engineer did their stuff right. There might even be bonuses paid out to engineers for making a product fail predictably, and reliably.

Planned obsolescence is the generation we’re in right now, because too many people want money. The short and curly of it is there is a big financial incentive to being two-faced and backstabbing your consumers after they bought a shiny new product. Because that’s how you make money and remain in business. And it sucks but if you owned a business, would you rather make a white jacket that lasts forever or a brown jacket that falls apart?

1 Like

So there is my rant about planned obsolescence, my thoughts about the whole software-as-a-service thing will be provided with more brevity; they blame software pirates. In fact that’s a lot of why Microsoft made Win10 “Free”, because they let people use the software, but they still require activation and you can buy the codes for the system you have installed from Kinguin or G2A for relatively cheap, much to Microsoft’s chagrin. I am surprised at this point, Microsoft doesn’t make encryption mandatory and force people into paying a monthly fee for access to the software, but then again ransomware kind of ruined that because then people would call that kind of policy a “Ransom fee.” However, holding your works captive means that software providers can force you to pay more money, which would satisfy their shareholders so they don’t drop out and sell the company to death. Once again, basic economics; Find a way to make money consistently and you will have people giving you their money to get more out of it through improved company value. All you have to do is look at Facebook for that; they’re a socmed platform, but with advertising and games with baked-in ads and survey stuff, so when kids and adults use the service they’re also helping to make Facebook money without spending a damn dime through clicking on ads and completing surveys which let Facebook gather data about you, which they sell to the highest bidder.

They found ways to make money, and so people give them money to make more money. Crazy stuff eh?

1 Like

I have thoughts on that. Lots and lots of thoughts. And code, though not as much code as i’d like, the-rest-of-life has been trying to kick my ass lately, but at least i added another class yesterday even if i didn’t fill in the blanks, and that’s more than nothing.

If you have not, please read my blog (click icon then click something else), and read it in chronological order, that way you’ll know better where i’m coming from.

I’m building a new architecture, basically. An instruction-set emulator. It’s going to be free, but i have some concerns about that, and might need some help from friends to figure out how to keep the core from being changed while allowing it to be examined and so forth.

All of the actual app code, from the OS to end-user-apps, will be totally portable. The ramifications of that become obvious if you think about it long enough.

Bottom line is i’m ■■■■■■ about the state things are in and i’m workin’ on it. If anybody’s interested in helping, lemme know via PM or whatever.

It’s very cool that we seem to be more or less on the same page.

I agree with 1Q7FE6zp about anonymization but i’m pretty sure it would be reasonably easy to set up a website to issue universal-id’s that verify one as an individual by authorizing $1 against a credit-card, though it would cost the website a small amount to make those checks through the existing channels.

All governments are going to be able to establish a 1:1 correspondence between individual-body and individual-number sooner or later, it’s basically inevitable if you want honest online voting on any level, it’s almost as obvious as a telecommunication industry owned by the state that wishes to implement honest online voting. If any actually do, there’s so much paranaoia floating around right now.

But here’s the advantage i see in what i have in mind, which i probably haven’t stated well at all. Let’s say there is a website, call it “UFOI” for “Universal Federation Of Individuals” just as an example.

So you go to ufoi.org and you register, with a credit-card, or something else that can be provided to the local government when they come with a supoena and demand the information so they can track down that scurrilous barstid “crankypuss”. I know the goobermint can track me down, but they don’t have any reason to. They can always generate “cause” if they choose to, it takes some kind of semantic-inversion-parser not installed in my head to say what the new laws even mean, much less how some government agent will choose to enforce them; iow the cops can do what they please because the laws were written by “legislators” which means that any hacker worth his salt could waltz right in and do what he pleases and you’re just another loudmouth Rodney King and the world moves on.

So you obtain this magic number that identifies your body, and you have to know that whatever nation you’re unfortunate enough to suffer, if they know who you are, they can find you. This just puts you on more equal ground, because you can keep the people who don’t already know your real name and street address from finding it unless you choose to tell them.

You go to ufoi.org and you register, then you get to make up some handles. Maybe you want one called “FatFreddieCat”, so you tell ufoi.org you want that one. As long as you don’t already own that one, you get it; it’s concatenated with an encrypted form of your universal id, so it would be something like “l48xjw5.FatFreddieCat” and that identifies you as one individual, call him “Joe”.

So Joe has a universal id of 123456 which is encrypted as l48xjw5. The individual you named “Joe” can now call himself FatFreddieCat". Other websites can contact ufoi.org with a message like, “verify l48xjw5.FatFreddieCat” and receive a true/false reply that says “l48xjw5.FatFreddieCat” is a real human, uniquely identifiable, fully susceptible to being banned from any given discussion group as a troll, and there’s no way anybody else is going to find out your real name is “Joe” unless they’re told.

I think; the only hole i’m seeing atm is that “l48xjw5.FatFreddieCat” can be typed in by anybody, so you still need ONE password, and that’s the knowledge of what “l48xjw5” is. IOW it’s like any other login to any other forum, where you have a userid and password. Only your password is “l48xjw5” and your userid is “FatFreddieCat”. And your password works the same for all your handles alike. One password, no tracks to hack and get your actual name without ufoi.org surrendering the information.

Whatever, i’m pretty sure that if the concept of nations survives for the next 5 or 10 years, we’re going to have something shoved up our noses because they’ll be able to put DNA scanners where the fingerprint scanner is on your cellphone then they’ll have both your DNA and your fingerprint, and the technology will become so cheap they can put it in disposable cigarette lighters.

I’m not 100% sure about the structure i described above, usually i check stuff like that with some code, but i’m short on time lately.

WIthin the next twelve years nations will be fighting to call themselves nations. I say, before I die the whole world agrees to federate themselves under one entity, with one council monitoring the entire world, because there will be enough geeks and nerds who can convince every nation in the world that is more efficient, generates less paperwork and is capable of creating a “World police” and “World military” who can potentially combat illegal worldwide enterprise and set policies into motion that most benefit the human.

I know , sounds crazy to say that after Brexit but that’s only because there were more people who thought the EU were screwing them over. What I would like to see is the complete dissolution of the European Union, or rebranding to represent a one-world government initiative whose sole intent is to bring people into offices worldwide to represent the one-world idea. We can still keep the borders we have because history and stuff, but put a freeze on any territorial warfare because federated, it honestly doesn’t matter because we’ll be under a uniform system anyway.

Much like communism, however, people are more-than-likely to eventually corrupt such a system should its people (the 98% of us) don’t keep those we place to power in check. So there needs to be a group of people who refuse to work for anything but the people, so the people can convey to this group possible transgressions and protocol breaks to forward at the council for consideration, and the council who oversees should be held accountable by a neutral third-party to ensure they are indeed working for the people. The moment such groups are not considered important by the council, is when the people should be afraid, and rightfully fight for their voice… if people are even taught the importance of fighting to be heard, for the sake of mankind.

That said, it’s not going to happen any time soon but if we have a one-world government or overseeing body that moderates all governments for the betterment of their respective citizens, it could have a positive impact on industry. That however is to be seen. While not a stellar example for the three countries who didn’t sign it, the Paris Climate Accord has proven at least 90% of the world agrees on at least one thing. I don’t see how any self-respecting government can reject the idea of globalizing uniformly and making “Their government” less important if it means improved efficiency in dealing with worldwide issues.

[quote=“tiox, post:29, topic:13633”]the one-world idea[/quote]As idealistic and commendable the idea might be, it is also and pardon my choice of words, slightly naive. Humanity simply is not ready yet to call itself one people. There are far too many examples of far too many usually petty disputes. And, in the more challenging category – far too many notions people in general have to let go. I could give examples but it should be obvious just from watching the average news site or channel just how much remains that separates nations from other nations, religions from other religions and even neighbours from each other. And even within individual people there remains enough that stands in the way of just getting along with everyone.

Not saying planetary unification is not necessary, not saying it wouldn’t be better… just saying it’s not happening… yet. It will happen eventually but probably not for another 100 - 150 years, minimum. At least not in any form that does more good than harm anyhow.

I read an article this morning about something Apple is working on that is supposed to be bigger than big, they talked it up in a linked Forbe$ article. I’m guessing that Apple is working on research to use the electromagnetic fields generated by heart and/or brain to identify individuals more uniquely than a fingerprint scan. I also conjecture that they are working on a 360% movie intake based on the same technology. If they are and they’re not totally stupid, they’ll have iPhones set up to record everything that goes on around every individual and we’ll all be identifiable from space. Which means (a) anybody doing something “bad” will be recorded, and (b) individuals might be safer that way, but © everybody i can think of except me (who simply doesn’t care) would freak out about it, invasion of their privacy, etc (they must have more interesting lives than me, go figure). I figure 3-5 years out, max. But hey, i’ve read lots of sci-fi over the years, it’s probably rotted my brain.

I’m also looking very hard at the idea of starting a non-profit-religious-organization called something like “Universal Federation Of Man” that will have as one of its objectives the replacement of nations with a peacefully adoptable alternative… in addition to the advancement of the state of the computing arts. But hey, marijuana is legal here, it’s probably rotted my brain.

[quote=“crankypuss, post:31, topic:13633”]I figure 3-5 years out, max.[/quote]I’ll repeat my original statement – At least not in any form that does more good than harm anyhow.

And yeah, smoking marijuana probably did something to your brain. But hey, at least you have a fairly relaxed outlook on life. :wink:

Working at various coporationss did a lot more to damage my brain than smoking pot did to help it recover from the damage; food for thought.

[quote=“crankypuss, post:33, topic:13633, full:true”]Working at various coporationss did a lot more to damage my brain than smoking pot did to help it recover from the damage; food for thought.[/quote]I know that feeling, particularly certain industries. Try financial, you’ll quickly lose all faith in humanity.

Are you just assuming Apple has no ethics whatsoever?
I’ve been pleasantly surprised by their reactions to the Phone decryption push by the FBI and al.
I no longer see Apple as being just as bad as Microsoft. Granted, my opinion hasn’t changed enough to actually buy stuff from them but still…

Oh, no they’re worse than Microsoft for the exact reason you mentioned; price.

• Beats by Dre; Comparably priced headphones (and even cheaper ones!) beat the pants off those headphones, Apple flaunts them as fashion accessories. Really, it’s a fairly cheap pair of headphones marked up by branding and because it’s Apple.
  • iPhone and iPad; Equally priced Android tablets can do the job just as well. While there are a few factors that do make the most recent iPhones better; an NVMe SSD, improved camera over its predecessor, and 3D touch in more recent versios of iOS, It’s not like an Android device couldn’t have these things in the future, Apple cripples the phone with a scant battery, and does it all in the name of fashion. Those bastards.
  • Recent releases of the Macbook Pro. Screw those. Screw their dongles, too. In fact, Apple’s removal of I / O for the sake of design is why I would never even consider any of their portable devices, because they aren’t respecting the general consumer with a dearth of connectivity which needs to be supplemented with external hardware.

They do everything for design and upsell it because they’re Apple and they can do whatever they want. That’s not the kind of attitude I want to buy into. I remember when Apple’s hardware had ports and when they’d do fairly bespoke things compared to the competition, made awesome software and while it was still marked up, there was some justification in the price tag. But it doesn’t feel that way anymore with most of their stuff.

At least Microsoft and Google outsource their work by giving third-party manufacturers the capability to source and build a machine, and they are allowed to sell those machines for cheaper; new, in-box and sealed.

This ■■■■■■ me off with routers; they make them easy to use but insecure as hell. Because no one wants to learn how to secure his/her router, we all suffer. Furthermore, manuals become slimmer as no one reads them. There aren’t timely patches for security breaches on routers. Most ISPs provide with cheap routers for which manufacturers refuse to provide firmware upgrades(I’m looking at you Huawei), regardless of the fact that their products are dangerous for the internet.

Router manufacturers that provide with firmware upgrades take months to fix the issue. Now, there is DD-WRT, but I am unsure of the long term support as routers become cheaper and as a result with weaker hardware that probably can’t handle regular updates (might be wrong about this).

Even if you want to find a good, secure router, it is almost impossible to choose one. No one talks about firmware vulnerabilities on reviews. In addition, you can’t be sure that the next firmware upgrade will brick your router.

I’ve been using crapple stuff for about a year now and i’m about ready to ditch it all as more trouble than it’s worth. They are implementing so-called modern-tech at a quality level reminiscent of Windows 3.1. If you live in a network-rich environment most of the flaws get glossed over, if you live in a networ-sparse environment like i do, the flaws jump out and getcha. No bluetooth file-transfer, that’s the province of AirDrop. No bluetooth mouse, iOS doesn’t do the concept of mouse. No copying of files through a USB port, since there are none on iPad or iPhone, though you can copy files onto a memory stick if you have the right hardware and software and you are lucky. The filesystem is out-of-bounds under iOS and their implementation is incredibly lame imo.

Granted their stuff is useful to those consumers who are simply too ignorant of what good software means, what good code acts like, to know the difference. But their thrust toward getting data onto their cloud just flat sucks. imo.

Whatever, people should use what they like, and like what they use imo. I’m going from an iPhone-SE to an BlackBerry KeyOne because that’s Android so i can get my own code onto it without buying a MacBook or equivalent just to get a signed copy of my own code so i can put it on my own goddamn machines.

As you can tell, i have opinionz. (No surprise by now, i’d guess.)

1 Like