Aptdaemon programming error

I have just noticed that Deja Dup will not perform a backup. Error msg:

"Backup Failed Could not understand duplicity version."

It says it backed up 4 days ago.

Also, I tried to update. Software updater informed me that I "stopped the check for updates". I did not.

Software Boutique tells me :
<An unhandlable error occured

There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks.>

Error details:
<[Errno 2] No usable temporary directory found in ['/tmp', '/var/tmp', '/usr/tmp', '/home/hld']>

I have been away and have not logged on to this machine in about a week. I am the only user. I am a casual user and not very technical.

Any ideas? Should I simply use the last restore point?

Welcome, sorry you are having issues.

A couple questions, what version of Ubuntu MATE are you using?

But let's try a couple simple things, please open a terminal and run these commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

If that works correctly let's see if Deja dup works correctly.

If not let's try this in a terminal:

sudo apt remove duplicity
sudo apt install duplicity

Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

I tried to restart the computer after I posted this question. The result was a failure to boot. I do not know what the codes mean, but the was (initramfs) (sp?) and a request for a manual fsck.

I looked that up on my ubuntu forums and found advice to boot with a live CD or USB and then open a terminal and enter the command for that.

That worked. Lots of issues to be fixed and then it booted up in recovery mode and everything has worked. Deja Dup started up and I was able to update as well.

Problem solved, I hope.

Thanks for your help.

Glad it is working for you!