Audio distortion issue only on Ubuntu Mate

Hi guys, I think I got a problem. After installing Ubuntu Mate 18.04 yesterday I noticed some kind of not-so-audible distortion in sound compared to my Xubuntu and Windows installation. There’s not much to diagnose, I’m sure audio is not overdriven in audio settings, and no IQ settings on VLC or Rhythmbox.

I post it here just in case someone else notices it or has a solution. I’m kind of a audiophile and I notice this kind of stuff :c, I’m back to Xubuntu (18.04, too) for the time being but Ubuntu Mate is such a perfect distro and I really wanna use it for everyday stuff!

Anyone? Edit: I have a live-usb lying around for trying possible solutions if you guys suggest it

I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for, but in this video: https://youtu.be/htbkwq9hgGo?t=17m23s
Joe Collins removes gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 for better audio quality with MP3. I never notice the difference, though.

Not sure it is the same what I recently experienced or not, but see here for a possible fix.

One solution that I am currently employing (I use Ubuntu studio - which uses the XFCE desktop) is to install the following, after installing the OS:

Mate Panel
Mozo
Caja

Then, I go into settings and use Caja as the default file manager. I also issue the following startup commands:

killall xfce4-panel
mate-panel

So, it’s essentially XFCE. But with the two things I like about Mate. Namely, the traditional gnome2-like panel (with the excellent Mozo menu editor) and Caja.

I also have installed lxtask as the xfce task manger is not good showing current total RAM usage.

I have installed Ubuntu mate themes and Mate-faenza icons. The xfce theme manager can be used to apply these system wide. So, all in all, it looks pretty UM-like.

Finally, there is a bit of housework to do on the menu. The mate-logout button (on the system menu) needs to be hidden cos it wont work. To do this, install dconf-editor. Then open dconf-editor and navigate to org/mate/desktop/session and disable the logout. This will make it disappear from the system menu. Finally, you can add an XFCE logout item back to the system menu via mozo with a custom application entry. The command for which is:

xfce4-session-logout

There are one or two other bits and bobs to do to get it absolutely spot on. But, I wont mention them here unless you decide to go ahead. In which case, just ask.

Just click the settings icon to bring up the settings dialog. There you can switch from percent to bytes.

Oh crap, I was totally not expecting this Xfce tip. Thanks

1 Like

It’s not the showing in percent or bytes for each process that is the problem with XFCE’s task manager. It is that it does not add them up and give a running total Like Mate’s or LXDE’s task managers do.

Are you sure? :wink:

Yes. Or, at least, I am sure with Ubuntu Studio, which uses xfce

Ok… got it.

“show memory usage in bytes”…

Duuuuh

1 Like

That is strange. I’m using MX-17 (Debian Stretch based) and I just looked at the Task manager version. It’s version 1.1.0-1 (standard Debian repo package). It’s exactly the same version as Ubuntu Xenial.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it Mrtribute. I was just being a bit thick…:slight_smile: