Backport Mate 1.24.1 fixes to 20.04?

Hi. Unfortunately 1.24.0 has a big memory leak in wnck-applet from mate-panel. If I don't kill and restart it every several days or so, it grows to 1GB plus of RAM!

It's not really acceptable to leave unfixed in an LTS release. Or force folks to upgrade to groovy. The fix should be backported, or perhaps update the full desktop if it is easier and contains other such important fixes.

Can anyone help?

1 Like

Hi,

I'm having an issue / bug (crash) that I think may be related to what @mixmastamyk posted here in September 2020.

I have a laptop that had Ubuntu MATE 18.04.5 and that I upgraded to Ubuntu MATE 20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa) about a month ago (in March 2021). In the past few days, I've been having an occasional crash of "wnck-applet" (/usr/lib/mate-panel/wnck-applet). The "Title:" (error message) of the crash is "wnck-applet crashed with signal 5 in _XEventsQueued()". The "Package" associated is "mate-panel 1.24.0-2":

I'm getting three dialog boxes during the crash:

• One of the error dialog boxes says the following:
    "Show Desktop" has quit unexpectedly
    If you reload a panel object, it will automatically be added back to the panel.
    [ Delete ] [ Don't Reload ] [ Reload ]

• The second error dialog box says the following:
    "Window List" has quit unexpectedly

• And the last error dialog box says the following:
    "Workspace Switcher" has quit unexpectedly

I see that, in the Github issue for "mate-desktop" that @mixmastamyk has linked to:

... the user "raveit65" has written the following:

raveit65 commented on Sep 5, 2020

Guys, all that is fixed with mate-panel-1.24.1. Your distro needs updating!
File out a report there asked for an update.

I see that there is another related discussion ("MATE 1.24.1 for ubuntu 20.04") here in the Ubuntu MATE Community discussion forums, started in November 2020:

... where @emaxus asked "(...) if there is a tentative date for MATE 1.24.1 backported to ubuntu 20.04." and where @franksmcb answered, saying that "You can watch the progress for this here:" and then points / links to the following Launchpad bug page related to the "mate-common" package:

... that was started by Martin Wimpress  (@Wimpy) himself and that has the following text in the "Bug Description" section:

[Impact]

• This is a roll-up of all maint fixes for MATE Desktop 1.24.1 and associated fixes in Ubuntu MATE. These upstream maint fixes address a number of issues for Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS users.

• The principal issue addressed across all the package updates are broken translations and icons for many languages, the most impacted being Portuguese.

• Other issues addressed include resolving memory leaks, segfaults and assorted papercuts; package-specific bugs are tagged in their respective package debian/changelog.

In that Launchpad Bug web page, I see that @Wimpy has released a fix / fixes but it's unclear (at least for me) if/when will that be pushed to Ubuntu MATE 20.04.

Does anyone have any (additional) information regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Indeed, this is an atrocious bug for an LTS. I'm still killing the applet every day after work.

Having to wait for it to be bundled with screen saver and icon fixes is also not acceptable. Should have been pushed immediately.

Thankfully I'm probably moving to the Hippo release in a few days, but many others are not so lucky.