Beginner Question - Back Up

My first support question.

This is my system according to the report.

Kernel Linux 4.8.0-41-generic (x86_64)
Compiled #44~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 3 17:11:16 UTC 2017
C Library Unknown
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4)
Distribution Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

On the system under ‘Applications’ there is a programme called ‘Back Up’. I also have Aptik installed.

What I would like to know is: What do I need to back up and which programme do I use? All I really want to back up to a HD are the things that make the OS work in case it crashes which will enable me to restore it. I do not have a clue what to back up! I am happy to drag and drop any of the files I create to my HD but am at loss to everything else.

I thank you in anticipation.

I think backing up your system is important and should be done at lease once a week. There are a few programs you can use that will help you accomplish this

Clonezilla is one I can recommend http://clonezilla.org/ you’ll have to read up on how to use it once you’ve used it, it will get easier

I think most people may agree with me the Home folder maybe the most important and should be backed up

Ask your self this, what do you have installed and saved on your machine that means a lot to you. If you answered that then you’re on your way

Best of luck

1 Like

There’s a multitude of backup methods available.

Like Rob has mention, I just backup my Home directory and have a second install if needed. For me a system failure is so rare this I feel is all thats needed.

I also think it’s a good idea to keep documents and photos backup on a external hard drive just in case. As far as apps are concerned Ubuntu makes installing them super easy I also install them from the synaptic package manager and my system is up and running in less then 15 minutes

I keep 3 types of backups: root-partition, user-partition, and photos partition.

These get backed up whenever enough changes have accrued to make it worth the trouble.

I prefer keeping my backups on a partition-by-partition basis because they’re easier to restore that way. Also all of my systems are multi-boot and run different distros, so having user data and photos separate means lets me update a distro’s root partition while leaving all my data untouched, and restore the root partition if something nasty happens during an update.

I’ve found it easiest to use gparted to format a backup partition (generally on a usb device) and then use rsync to update the files whenever it’s justified.

Opinions on good backup processes are almost as varied as text-editor preferences, though not usually as religiously held.

Hi @Methusela

I use Back in time to make Backups.

Very easy and convenient!

Best wishes!

Atreju

I recommend Clonezilla as well.

I also use this script to backup to a separate drive.

#!/bin/bash
# 
#  Backup script customized for AMD system and UBUNTU 16.04
gxmessage -fg red -font  'sans 20' -timeout 2 ' BACKING UP FILES FOR UBUNTU_MATE 16.04 (LTS) 64-BIT'
cd /home/andy/.mozilla/seamonkey/4e39n1np.default/
cp -u -f bookmarks.html /media/sdb1/Linux_Files/
zip -u ~/Documents/Ubuntu_Documents.zip *.html
#
cd ~/Documents
zip -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip *.txt *.doc *.rtf *.html *.png *.pdf *.odt *.ods *.odg
cp -u -f Ubuntu_Documents.zip /media/sdb1/Linux_Files/
#
cd ~/Scripts
zip -u Ubuntu_Scripts.zip *.sh 
cp -u -f Ubuntu_Scripts.zip /media/sdb1/Linux_Files/
#
cd /home/andy/Icons
zip -u Ubuntu_Icons.zip *.png *.pnm
cp -u -f Ubuntu_Icons.zip /media/sdb1/Linux_Files/
gxmessage -fg blue -font  'sans 20' -timeout 2 'BACKUP TO SDB1 COMPLETE. :-)'
#
cd /home/andy/Music