Bionic and Compiz

I’d like to hear from others running compiz on 18.04. Have you seen what I’ve seen? I’ve already done some quick guessing what modules may be involved.

I run compiz primarily for Enhanced Zoom Desktop but enable the cube. I turn off Animations, Fading Windows and Grid and run pretty much MATE Traditional panels.

1. VLC mouse-over the play slider and weird things happen with focus and Window List. It should pop up time location.

2. Changing panels in MATE-Tweak is flakey. Back-and-forth seems to help stabilize things like it caches but often causes double entries. I find it best to first setup in Marco or panels are loaded incomplete. I also found CLI: mate-tweak --layout (name-of-layout file) behaves better than the MATE-Tweak GUI.

1 Like

Hmmm, MATE Tweak doesn’t cache. I did reflow the execution when MATE Tweak is instructed to switch layouts early in 18.04 and is has improved things a great deal.

Big ask, but, can you give me a from cold boot example where Tweak will predictably fail?

Hi @Wimpy,

I’m thinking disk cache. Something seems to take a long time to panel switch once. Next time it’s faster and panel corruption seems reduced, like some cache is involved.

First MATE-Tweak panel switch after boot always has a long activity pointer. 10 seconds typical.

I’m not seeing absolute repeatability but it does appear there is a corrupted state across boots. I just ended on a perfectly good looking “Traditional” panel set last, rebooted, and first appearance had no “Indicator Applet Complete” come up. I had been swtching layouts prior.

I do believe it is related to saved panels and they do have clock settings inside them. Yet those settings seem to get lost when corrupted, which may be a clue.

Attached are exactly my 2 additional layouts from /usr/share/mate-panel/layouts. At one time I was convinced their presence may be involved.

Right now, if I switch between Traditional, Familiar and my customs Bill and Bill-1 I’ll eventually get a corrupted result that sticks across reboots.

System is Dell XPS-8700 Core i7 3.6GHz, nVidia GK208 (GeForce GT 720). Monitor is 1920 x 1200. I happen to be on nVidia 390 but Nouveau had all the problems, too. My theme is TraditionalOK.

Gee, I’ve never uploaded non-image files here and zips not allowed. I’ll sent you a link.

It may not be compiz like I thought. It may be related to clock settings???

I just verified this TWICE and deleted custom layouts both times.

SYSTEM
Quad core Intel Core i7-4790
Nouveau graphics on NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 720]
Installed 18.04 on sdb5, a slow 2TB spinning disk.
16.04 on sda1 controls grub boot, a fast SSD.
Installed from 1st Beta 2 ISO back when it was announced

SETUP
Marco (Adaptive Compositor)
Theme TraditionalOK
Panel Traditional
"Indicator Applet Complete" fails to load on some reboots.

FRESH BOOT AND...
Panel appears ok.
Setup Clock, Change to: 12-hr and Show seconds

MATE-Tweak
Panel Save As: Test
Switch to Traditional, wait for pointer to stop spinning
Switch back to Test - I have TWO OF EVERYTHING on both panels!

Would a brand new install be worth the time? What ISO?
EDIT: I’m downloading daily ISO now, 2018-04-21 23:55
Want to see what it does on this hardware liveboot.

LIVE BOOT RESULTS of Daily bionic-desktop-amd64.iso dated 2018-04-21 23:55

1. Wait for things to settle after “Trying Ubuntu-MATE”.
    If I hurry, the first panel switch may corrupt something. A symptom by itself.

2. Run MATE-TWeak and select panel Traditional.

3. Set clock preferences to 12hr and “Show seconds”.

4. Save panel layout as “Test”.

5. Waiting a while between changes, switch back-and-forth between Traditional and Test. Several things may happen:

• MATE-Tweak crashes. 22Apr2018 01:44:44 UTC I set a report if that helps.
  • Panels end up blank or otherwise corrupted.
  • If I switch quickly, it’s worse.

I never saw this double-items corruption I see on the native install.