Bluetooth Headphones a chore to use

I have a pair of Skullcandy Hesh 2 wireless bluetooth headphones. These headphones do work under Ubuntu MATE 16.04, but getting them to initially start working each session takes 5 minutes or more of tinkering.

I’m not really sure what order of incantations gets bluetooth headphones to work. Usually what will happen is that each time I want to use them, I have to delete the headphones under Bluetooth Devices, and repair them. Then, I have to select A2DP. After that, I go into sound settings, and configure them to be the output device. I’ll then need to restart any application that plays sound, since I’ll get no sound at all until I close and reopen any application that plays sound. What’s worse, this order of events doesn’t always work. Sometimes, I’ll need to delete and repair the headphones five or six times before they’ll finally accept audio. Sometimes, audio won’t even play at all (the time elapsed doesn’t increase, in a song) until I remove the headphones, and go through switching to a different sound device, and then back to the bluetooth headphones. Each time I get it to work, I’m not exactly sure what I did differently. The headphones will work perfectly fine from that point forward, up until I turn them off or log out of my computer.

What I prefer is to turn on my headphones, and have the sound configuration automatically switch to using the headphones as an output device. I also prefer not restarting all of my apps each time I connect them. At the very least, an order of events that always works getting sound output through the headphones would suffice.

These headphones work great with my Android phone, no configuration or incantations/divine intervention needed. I’m not really sure why Ubuntu MATE’s bluetooth stack is so frustrating. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve experienced similar issues with Bluetooth headphones.
I think it’s the whole Ubuntu stack though and not specific to UM. :/

That's a shame. Bluetooth headphones are really handy. I'll try them in GNOME and see if it acts the same way.

It is more of a PulseAudio <-> Bluetooth problem. The problem exists in some form in all “current” Linux distributions that use PulseAudio.