Boot alternative sd boot ini - ssd root

Is there a way to boot ssd from sd card. I’m trying to free up memory with a swap on a usb ssd. Is there a tutorial to either place swap on usb ssd or, preferably just put the boot loader on sd and the OS on usb ssd? I have found people that claim to have done it but, no instructions. I’m a noob but, can follow directions. Since Firefox was broken with updates I switched to Vivaldi, It’s a memory hog, even with animations turned off. Thunderbird is even worse. Confirming my Email took for ever! lol Thanks for looking! Update Thunderbird seems better after initial start up. Vivaldi pegs memory when browsing though.

Never mind, found reasons it won’t work. Supposedly anything using swap will bring system to a standstill. No wonder I can’t find directions. Why is a swap file, any different than a swap partition? Seems like they both would shorten SD card life. Creating swap partition sure helped Vivaldi in Raspbian. Time for more digging. Another posted a problem with finding swap on memory stick if 2 are present. 90% of the time it saw wrong stick and failed to start swap.
Moderator you can close this topic if you like. This looks like a dead end.