Boutique - Suggestions for KeepassX and Wine

This deserves a completely separated discussion. I believe you are wrong in many aspects. It’s not all white and black and platitudes are perhaps the most dangerous notions on the field of security. Glad to discuss it somewhere else though.

[quote=“marfig, post:21, topic:13756”]Glad to discuss it somewhere else though.[/quote]Drop me a message, although I don’t think I’m too keen to discuss it. Seeing as how you interpreted what I said completely the wrong way. Which is 50/50 my fault and yours.

KeepassXC version 2.2.0 was just released, and after an impatient sudo snap refresh, I have it installed.

The release notes don’t mention anything, but I’m now seeing the Qt5’s default Fusion theme rather than the Windows 95/Gtk+2 Qt theme. So it’s still not matching Ubuntu MATE’s theme, but it looks more polished IMO.

Edit: Changed link from Github release to blog post.

I wonder how to update a .deb install, just run the new .deb file?

I have updated it too on the Antergos partition, not just yet on Ubuntu MATE. And to be frank I am becoming annoyed with it. Works well and all, but the whole feature creep is just not what I want from a password manager. It really isn’t. Neither I want to be constantly upgrading a software because someone thought of something new and cool to add, or bugs to fix because someone else added something new and cool last version. Enough is enough and KeePassXC has moved the KeePass name to the realm of always-on-the-news software. I have enough of that nonsense with plenty of other software. Don’t need it from a password manager too.

I’ve been considering other options. And so far I think I am going to settle for pass as my password manager. I use rofi as my application finder on both systems. There’s an excellent bash script for it, rofi-pass, that allows me to quickly and easily autotype passwords into browsers and other applications, that requires nothing else besides xdotool and gawk to be installed on the system, instead of browser plugins which just add another anonymous person into my web of trust and unnecessarily weaken my security .

Yes, that should work as long as the new deb has a higher version number than the one you have installed.

That’s good, thanks.

Just a late addition to the discussions. I’ve been using the AppImage version of KeePassXC, found it ridiculously easy to install, highly functional and unfussy in appearance. I’m not sure of the trust and space issues of relying on AppImages but I certainly like the outcome for KeePassXC. I’ve updated to 2.2.0 as well and that was equally simple. We don’t want frivolous updates but I do think security software in particular has to have some momentum behind it. which KeePassXC currently seems to have.

1 Like