Caja 1.26.0 -- frequent crashing on UbuntuMATE 22.04

Caja -- specifically Caja 1.26.0-1ubuntu1 -- unfortunately and annoyingly crashes when I open any folder containing JPGs or PDFs.

(It may do the same with folders containing other file-types, though not when I open a folder containing simple text-files).

The folder instantly disappears -- POOF.

Such behavior, anyone would agree, cannot stand.

This has been happening ever since I made a fresh-install of Ubuntu MATE Jammy a few weeks ago.

Here is a sample of the warnings that .xsession-errors is showing:

368 (caja:8266): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:10:37.407: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed
370 (mate-panel:2265): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:12:42.312: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
371 RuntimeError: object at 0x7fd86c97dbc0 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized
372 RuntimeError: object at 0x7fd86c97dbc0 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized
374 ** (caja:8266): CRITICAL **: 14:29:25.024: caja_bookmark_get_location: assertion 'CAJA_IS_BOOKMARK (bookmark)' failed
376 (caja:8266): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 14:29:25.024: g_file_get_uri: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (file)' failed
377 sys:1: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
378 RuntimeError: object at 0x7fd86c97dbc0 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized

406 (caja:8659): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:29:38.150: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client

Any suggestions appreciated as to how I might stop the crashing.

(How, for example, do you initialize "FolderColorMenu"?)

Hi, @watchpocket :slight_smile:

I've done a web search for the following error message that appears in your .xsession_errors log that you rightly included in your post:

RuntimeError: object at 0x7fd86c97dbc0 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized

... and I've found the following discussion, also here in the Ubuntu MATE Community discussion forums, started by @tkn (thom), almost a year ago (in July 2022):

In that discussion, @thom ended up finding out that installing the package named folder-color solved the issue for him. You may also read the following related Bug report that he created in Launchpad, on 8 July 2022:

In that Bug report discussion, while trying to fetch "apport" information for the bug report, he found out that installing the folder-color package solved the issue related to the "FolderColorMenu is not initialized" error message:

So, @watchpocket , I suggest that you try to install the folder-color package and see if that also solves the issue for you, by running the following command:

sudo apt install folder-color

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for that info!

I do already have the folder-color-caja package installed (described in Synaptic as "folder color for caja").

Also already installed is folder-color-common.

folder-color is described as "folder color for nautilus" and I do not have it installed.

But I think folder-color-common may be for the nautilus folder-color. So I will first install (the nautilus) folder-color to see if that helps.

Perhaps though, both (the nautilus) folder-color and (what may be 'the nautilus') folder-color-common should -- maybe -- both be removed. I'll have to experiment a bit here.

Stay tuned and thank you again. I'll report back asap.

I installed folder-color and re-booted, but this didn't help.

And if I remove folder-color-common, then folder-color-caja also gets automatically removed, so I've left both of those installed.

So its back to the drawing boards for now.