Caja only shows images and icons preview when root

Greetings,

I’m looking for the solution to this error for some time . I did not find anywhere.

Caja could only see the icons of the images and videos when at root. How can I enable this functionality in normal mode, without superuser on caja ?

I am not sure what you mean. Could you post a screenshot please?

Hi,
My miniatures are like the image below when I access the caja without being in sudo .

I tried already to set the permissions of the thumbnail folder with this command

chmod -R 755 ~ / .thumbnails

chmod -R 755 ~ / .cache / thumbnails

but it did not work. Only some images display the thumbnail. When I run the caja with sudo on terminal , looks like:

Thanks a lot for your reply o/

Resetting Caja’s settings to the defaults might help. When running under root (via sudo), it will be using root’s configuration in a separate home directory (/root) and its own dconf – which appears to work as normal.

You could optionally try a guest session as well to be sure it’s the user profile.

Open the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and close all instances of Caja.

killall caja

Erase the config from your home directory.
(Including any custom scripts - Move them out from scripts/ if you wish to keep them)

rm -r ~/.config/caja

Then reset the dconf keys for Caja.

dconf reset -f "/org/mate/caja/"

(It must end with a /)

Greetings o/
Before I tried to copy the caja root / config folder to my user directory and did not work very well ;~
Okay, I ran the your commands and stayed that way now:

PS: I will try to log into the other users and see if the same problem presents on them. Brb

Thank you so much for your support o/

It seems that the problem is only with that user. I’m leaving for the easiest solution , create a new account and transfer the files .

Again, thanks for the help , finding that that account was all buggy , solves me haha

1 Like