Can Anyone Give A Good, Clear Example of Using XPRA?

I'm having a terrible time trying to get xpra to work. Maybe I don't understand how it's supposed to work, and that's why.

I connect to my Ubuntu MATE server remotely using a combination of xrdp (which I installed and configured) and a number of RDP clients. RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) is a Microsoft technology, and is not without certain, ahem issues. Chief among them is I can only connect once with the same account. If I connect from another machine, it disconnects the first.

There are times I'd like to start a program as a "headless" process. Let's say, for example, I want to start a bitTorrent process in one connection, but have that bitTorrent available to another connection at some future point.

I saw an example where a connection was made to the server via ssh and then a process was spawned selecting a random port. Then, connecting to the server via one selected port, the xpra session then attached to another port that was set during invocation. The re-connect was achieved through a browser.

But I'd rather not use a browser unless that's part of the "special sauce." Even if it is, I've had terrible luck getting anything more than a terminal session, which is far less than what I'd like.

Has anyone used xpra for anything useful? And how did you manage to set it up?