Can't get PDF Thumbnails

Since I instaled MATE 20.04 I can't get PDF icons as Thumbnails/Previews. Everything else is OK, as before, only PDFs have that boring uniformed icon. I tried everything I could thought of, editing view prefrences and like; does anybody have any new idea?

Hello koana33

This works for me:

1. Open Caja (the file manager).
  2. Open the "Edit" menu.
  3. Open "Preferences" (at the bottom of the list).
  4. Open the "Preview" tab.
  5. For "Other Previewable Files - show thumbnails" select "Local Files Only".
  6. Click on "Close".

Being the world of GNU/Linux, I of course wanted to get rid of the thumbnails, just the opposite of your wish. Freedom and choice. :penguin:
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe also to increase a bit this value if your pdfs are > 10Mb

Do not increase to much, otherwise it will slow down your navigation each time you will have huge files in a location :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help! But I have already tried that, and many other options in Edit menu, and it stubbornly refuses to fix itself! :frowning_face: I always adjust these settings the same, but result is different this time and I am pulling my hair in despair now! :sob:

Thank you for your tip, I don't know why it all doesn't work!

I just found the solution! It's silly, but it works: the only PDF-reader I had was Okular. I just installed qpdfview and all of the thumbnails are there!! Unbelivable!!!

Maybe change the default application for pdf reading will help :

Take random .pdf > right click > Properties and next :

Also insure here its also set up correctly :

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha, ha, I just did that!!! Thanks!! :laughing:

Is it better ? :slight_smile:

I would like to see those "boring uniform icons" for pdf and image files in list and compact view because usually they're so small that I hardly can identify them anyway. And depending on the number and size of the files the thumbnails slow down the loading of the icons quite a bit. I think the icon view is the only place where thumbnails make sense.

So my question is: How can I force caja to show simple icons in list and compact view but thumbnails in icon view?

I have had a catch! I realized that some PDF files were showing thumbnails but not others. The one which were not showing thumbnails didn't have the .pdf extension, so I just renamed those files adding .pdf extension, and they started showing thumbnails as well.

Maybe this works for you if you haven't yet noticed.

2 Likes