Change 'move to' defaults

This is a pretty minor problem, mostly because my workflow is a mess (the term “work” is used loosely here) but it does end up wasting quite a bit of time and I’m wondering if there isn’t already a solution for this.

When I right-click a file on my desktop and select ‘move to’, the only options that appear are ‘Home Folder’ and ‘Desktop’. I need more options than that. If I select a video file, I would like one of the options to be ‘Videos’. If it’s an image, I’d like ‘Pictures’ to be an option, etc.

Not to mention, if a file is on my Desktop, it would be pretty pointless to have Desktop as one of the options, yes?

Is there already a way to accomplish what I’m talking about?

@teslas_moustache I believe that I got this script, or one quite similar, from -

#!/bin/bash
numberArgs=$#

OUTPUT=$(zenity --file-selection --directory --title="Choose your target directory")

if [ "$?" -eq 1 ]; then
	zenity --error --text="Cancelled"
# --auto-close
	exit 1
fi

TARGETDIR=$(awk -F, '{print $1}' <<<$OUTPUT)

for (( i=1; i<=$numberArgs; i++ )); do
	echo "# ${1##*/}"
	cp -r --preserve=all "${1}" "$TARGETDIR/"
	rm -r "${1}"
	echo "$(( (i * 100)/$numberArgs ))"
	sleep 0.5
	shift 1
done | zenity --progress --title="Copy files to $TARGETDIR" --percentage=0 
# --auto-close

if [ "$?" -eq 1 ]; then
	zenity --error --text="Cancelled!" 
# --auto-close
	exit 1
fi

Perhaps this will suit you.

Indeed, from the desktop you have only these two options…
A workaround can be, if you open the Caja-filemanger, and you use double pane (F3), in the other pane you can select the new place and from within the Desktop pane, you can now with right click select ‘Move to Other pane’ …

I don’t mean to be a baby, but I don’t like the script solution. It’s kludge-y. The default directories which are listed in the left-hand column of the file manager should be available in the ‘move to’ and ‘copy to’ dialogues. IMO

You can do it with Thunar file manager.

It lets you make custom actions.

For ex.

mv %F /home/andy/Downloads/

I just installed Thunar and that does work pretty well. But, unless I’m mistaken, the only way to make that possible from the actual desktop is to switch entirely to XFCE. I can only use those Thunar options from within Thunar file manager and nowhere else.

Unfortunately, you are right.