Cheese preferential webcam

Hi,
I am using 16.04.2 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit.
I have, besides the laptop camera, an usb webcam.
When I open Cheese (version 3.18.1) the image is from the laptop cam. How can I make Cheese open showing the usb webcam?
Thanks for any hint,
Geraldo

Hi @geraldocg,

does this help?:

https://sites.google.com/site/tutorialsforlinux/linux-wiki-in-english/general-tips/cheese-webcam-manual :smiley:

Wolfman, good Cheese manual. I was looking for it.
I was already changing the camera in ‘Preferences’, but at each Cheese opening, the laptop camera showed.
In dconf-editor ( org/gnome/Cheese) changed field ‘camera’ to ‘USB camera’ but had no success.
Edited org.gnome.Cheese.gschema.xml (in usr/share/glib-2.0/shemas) and changed:

Camera device string indicator
The path to the device node which points to the camera, for example /dev/video0
‘’

to:

Camera device string indicator
The path to the device node which points to the camera, for example …
‘/dev/video0’
</key

/dev/video0 is the usb webcam I want to be the default one
Ran ‘sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas’, with no errors. Rebooted, No success.
In dconf-editor the field ‘camera’ is the cam that is being displayed in the moment by Cheese but /dev/video0 appears as defaut.
Any help?

HI geraldocg,

all I can see from your commands there is that you may not have changed the device name, the name is the same in both windows?:

/dev/video0

maybe it should have "/dev/video1" instead?. :grinning:

Is this for Skype btw?, in case you or anyone else are interested:

Hi Wolfman,
I found that laptop cam is /dev/video1.
I have checked that /dev/video0 in saved in org.gnome.Cheese.gschema.xml.
In dconf-editor, in org/gnome/Cheese, the default device for ‘camera’ is /dev/video0 (as seen in bottom of window), and it doesn’t change when I switch cameras ( even if the text in the ‘camera’ changes !!).
I am giving up. It is not important. Would save me mere seconds.
I don’t use for Skype but just to watch the backyard of a remote spot, via TeamViewer.
Thanks for your attention.
Geraldo

1 Like