Chromium-Browser Memory Leak?

Hello,

I was using the chromium-browser to download something from mega. (Unfortunately i could not use firefox to do this). So i setup the download and walked away, found my computer almost frozen when i came back.
Switched to another tty and logged in and got logged out again because there was not enough memory to load /bin/bash ?

Then the computer locked up, could not switch between tty’s. Pressed the power/panic button and stop started the machine the ugly way.

Anyone experience memory leak with this browser ? Should i use brave instead ?

I recommend Seamonkey.

Cant find it

$ sudo snap search seamonkey
No matching snaps for "seamonkey"

$ sudo apt install seamonkey
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package seamonkey is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'seamonkey' has no installation candidate

$

Is it a ppa ?

Software isn’t perfect. That being said, there is a lot of software in that stack. The browser is just the piece you are interacting with.

Is it repeatable? Apply all system updates, reboot, and try again. You might have just hit a rough patch in the OS.

While you are trying again, it might be helpful to use the System Monitor (or alternately something like top) to look at memory usage. Is your memory usage already high when you start? Do you have a bunch of other tabs open? Keep in mind this might not be memory at all, and it might not be Chromium. There could be something else going on.

If you are running a computer that is already memory constrained (2GB), make sure you close down as much as you can before starting the operation. Today’s browsers - all of them - are notorious memory hogs.

Brave is an Electron app, I believe, so if I remember that correctly, Brave is Chromium. If Chromium is the problem, Brave is unlikely to solve it for you.

Command line tools wget and curl might be an alternative if you cannot get this to work any other way.

Consider as an alternative using the proprietary version of Chrome.

1 Like

Seamonkey uses about 320 Mb of memory.

Not that bad compared to some other browsers.

Hi,

I’m still battling the problems, for some reason I’m not getting desired results. Maybe i should install the mega-app but i hate proprietary software.