Chromium crashes when starting. Segfaults?

I’m using a Pi2. Many other users said they were experiencing the same problem, please can I know how any of you resolved it ?

This problem came out of nowhere. What is the proper procedure to update chromium to latest version or roll back to a previous version or to update Ubuntu Mate on the pi as well ? Thanks

I have the same problem, pi2 and segmentation fault, and I don’t know how can I rollback to a chromium version worked.

Anybody know what was the last version that works?

I have the same issue with ubuntu server minimal for Raspberry Pi 2 (downloaded from https://ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org/download/).

To downgrade:
From command line (terminal) you can run

apt-cache policy chromium-browser

Now you can see the versions that are available.

chromium-browser: Installed: 45.0.2454.101-0ubuntu1.1201 Candidate: 49.0.2623.108-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1223 Version table: 49.0.2623.108-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1223 0 ... etc etc

At least for me, there are 2 versions available, where the oldest works.

I had to remove the newest with
sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra chromium-browser-l10n
and then install the older one with
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser=45.0.2454.101-0ubuntu1.1201 chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra=45.0.2454.101-0ubuntu1.1201 chromium-browser-l10n=45.0.2454.101-0ubuntu1.1201

(Edit to add Aworan’s instructions to block chromium updates)
Block updates with
sudo apt-mark hold chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra chromium-browser chromium-browser-l10n

Last working version is 48 but is not available with apt-get install.
So I think the best to downgrade to last working version is open a terminal then :

sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra chromium-browser-l10n

wget https://launchpad.net/~canonical-chromium-builds/+archive/ubuntu/stage/+build/9035280/+files/chromium-browser_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1221_armhf.deb https://launchpad.net/~canonical-chromium-builds/+archive/ubuntu/stage/+build/9035280/+files/chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1221_armhf.deb http://launchpadlibrarian.net/240471518/chromium-browser-l10n_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1221_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1221_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1221_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser-l10n_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1221_all.deb

Then you can block updates on chromium packages with :

sudo apt-mark hold chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra chromium-browser chromium-browser-l10n

When a new working release will be available you can unblock packages updating with :

sudo apt-mark unhold chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra chromium-browser chromium-browser-l10n
sudo apt-get upgrade

Enjoy,

Aworan

1 Like

i have been battling this for the last few days and it seems that the reason for this happening is the --enable-pinch flag.

if i open an xterm and type in chromium-browser --disable-pinch chrome will launch.
if i then go on to set the flag in chrome://flags/#enable-pinch to disable i can launch chromium from inside the xterm without the switch.

however - when i launch X and try to start it from the command line this happens:-
startx /usr/bin/chromium-browser --kiosk
which launches
/bin/sh /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/chromium-browser --kiosk
which in turn launches
xinit /usr/bin/chromium-browser --kiosk
which the launches
chromium-browser --enable-pinch --kiosk

and the #$#@!#@$$!@#$!$ --enable-pinch is back!!!

how do you set a chromium-flag for every user?

I'm not sure but maybe users & groups in the Control Centre?, you could also try adding the disable-pinch command to Startup Applications?:

i found what it was
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
has a variable want_touch_pinch set to 1 by default. this was triggering the adding of the --enable-pinch
no matter what you set anywhere else, it was being added by this script and over-rides the disable flag

setting it to 0 solved the issue.

perhaps a good question now would be - why is this script even messing with --enable-pinch ?

1 Like

So when will this issue be resolved ? With whom does the fault lie ?

I guess canonical lauchpad arm build, I will try to report the problem here if it is not already.
It don’t work in mate 16.04 beta 2 too :frowning:

Aworan

A bug report was already open in launchpad, I added another comment.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/1563184
Maybe you can create an account to and click “this bug affect me” to make the counter grow :wink:
I hope they will fiw it soon !

Thanks, I’ll do that !

So I am running rpi2 and install chromium and it crashes. I am running 16.04 beta 2. I did the updates no luck? Any ideas?

@WalkOnATYCLB,

did you try the above?. :smiley:

Hi wolfman,
As I said in the thread the problem is with chromium 49 for armhf architecture (not usual PC like x86 or amd64).
It is the same problem both raspberry pi or odrid which have same armhf architecture.
The problem appears with version 49, chromium works in version 48.
A bug report was open on launchpad. We must wait canonical to fix it.
You can revert to version 48, look my post in this thread until.

Aworan

Hi @aworan,

can you not use Synaptic and “Force Version”?. :smiley:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto#How_to_force_the_installation_of_a_package_version

Hi, I notice that the problem still exists. Will it ever get resolved ? Thanks

I too having the same issue with the Chromium browser… it cannot seem to run at all on my Raspberry Pi3.

Not only that now the pepper flash package is no longer to download via synaptic.

I did uninstall and reinstall the software again. Still I get the same sandbox errors!

I found a workaround to have the lastest version of chromium working see my tutorial there :

1 Like

So I just received my RPi3 today and installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04, tried installing Chromium and am experiencing the same crash, even at first launch.
Has there been a fix yet?

I was able to get chromium 53 running with the --disable-gpu flag.

2 Likes