Clementine crashes and general unstability

First of all, I’m not running Clementine from the official repo. That version is too old and does not fit well with my usage needs and the habits I have acquired since version 1.3.1 came out. I’m running Clementine from the developer’s own PPA from Clementine Official PPA. That brings Clementine to version 1.3.1.

I was wondering if others are experiencing the same problems as I am with Clementine on Ubuntu-Mate 16.04. Clementine 1.3.1 is generally unstable under 16.04 and crashes or freezes after continued use. It used to be rock solid under 14.04, where I was even used to install and run the developer nightly builds PPA. But in 16.04 it has been nothing but pain.

Are you experiencing the same problem? Were you able to fix or circumvent them?

Replying to myself here, but I eventually solved this problem and I’m just recording it here.

The Clementine project has a strange versioning system that I can’t understand and that eventually lead me to error. Because the version in the Ubuntu-Mate repositories is 1.2.3 I instinctively assumed this to be an old version. After all the Clementine website mentions version 1.3.1 as the current stable version.

Previously, in 14.04 I had been running the Clementine dev builds PPA, assuming without ever looking that this would be >1.3.1. But it’s not. Clementine dev PPAs are building on 1.2.3(!); precisely the version that the Ubuntu-Mate repos have. So in fact, the package supported by Ubuntu-Mate has all that I am used to in Clementine. And it has none of the problems I have been experiencing with the Clementine own builds. Problem solved by simply using the Ubuntu-Mate package.

Why does the Clementine project says the latest stable version is 1.3.1 but they are otherwise committing to the 1.2.3 branch, I have no idea. And I got no answer from IRC. But, problem solved. So, I won’t care anyway.

2 Likes

I always start with what is in the repos until its proven to be inadequate. Clementine installed via Software Boutique has worked great here so far.