Compile VLC with HW acceleration

Open a terminal and begin:

sudo apt-get install vlc browser-plugin-vlc git libtool build-essential pkg-config autoconf liba52-0.7.4-dev libdvdread-dev libkate-dev libass-dev libbluray-dev lua5.2 libcddb2-dev libdca-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libmad0-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libogg-dev libopencv-dev libpostproc-dev libshout3-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev libssh2-1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libopus-dev libschroedinger-dev libsmbclient-dev libtwolame-dev libx264-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libzvbi-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev librsvg2-dev libsamplerate0-dev libudev-dev libmtp-dev libupnp6-dev libnotify-dev libdvbpsi-dev libgme-dev libebml-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libsidplay2-dev libva-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libchromaprint-dev libxpm-dev libncurses5-dev libsidplay1-dev libtar-dev libqt4-dev libncursesw5-dev libprotoc9v5 protobuf-compiler

Download the most recent VLC source code, configure and compile it:

git clone git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git
cd vlc
export ACLOCAL_ARGS="-I /usr/share/aclocal"
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-rpi-omxil --disable-ogg --disable-mux_ogg
make

Compilation will take some hours to complete. Afterwards run:

sudo make install

After starting VLC for the first time, change the following options:
Settings, simple, Audio: make sure, ALSA and bcm2835 are selected
Settings, simple, Video, output: select “OpenMAX IL video output”
Settings, all, Audio: select “deactivate” for audio resampler (important for speed!)

VLC will remember these settings.

Overclocking
your RPi might really help, especially with HD videos. Many 720p videos
and streams work well, but almost no 1080p. But for SD stuff it really
runs fine and will give you more options and control than omxplayer.

Enjoy!

orginal link https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=59814&sid=af6d06ed2ef7dd170516eb4f0c18be67

Hi valino,
I don’t think that work.
Did you try it ?

Yes, of course.

But its possible to make it better…

Checking with configure -h may help to find more and show which features can be enabled

Thank you for all the above steps. That’s what I’ve been looking for, since the built-in VLC player coming with UbuntuMATE does not playback any of my videos :frowning: Only the OMX player does it in full-screen by default.

I will follow the steps described in the “Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW Acceleration” posting originally made available in the Raspberry Pi forum, and take it from there.

OK, I’ve compiled and installed as per instructions above, and have selected for audio the “bcm2835 ALSA Default Device” option and for video the “OpenMAX IL Video Output” option.

Opening a native MP4 video file, I do get sound, however no video output. I tried a few other settings for video, still the same, no video output at all with the latest compiled VLC program, of which I have downloaded the latest source code today. With the OMXplayer, I can play MP4 video files.

Have I missed anything here?

I’ve going to give this a try. Just waiting now to get everything downloaded. Thanks for the info!

I’m curious about one thing, why are you disabling OGG playback?

Same for me that carriba observed. No video, sound only.

I retreived the files again yesterday evening, and compiled the entire source code again. Same results, no video output, sic!

The only recent posting I’ve found up to now is that someone is trying to Cross-compile VLC with MMAL Support resulting from the discussions I’ve found in the Raspberry Pi forum to get a working VLC built with omxil and mmal support.

Will dig through some other forum posts to ascertain whether any other issues are known here…

I think valino just did a copy / paste from another forum. Is it why I ask him if he did success.
His awnser was yes but I really don’t think he does. I try it too without success few weeks ago.
I don’t manage to work vlc but you can do it with ffplay and MPV.
Ffplay is a part of ffmpeg project, you can compile it with mmal acceleration it work.
I will do some tutorial maybe at the end of the next week.
MPV work too (is build on ffmpeg) but only in full screen mode with hw acceleration. I need to post some feature request on there website. Stay tune here :smile:
Is good to have some people here trying to get thinks work better.

I finally find a way to compile vlc with hardware acceleration !
I need to do some tests and improvements.
I will make a tutorial soon !
Stay tune !

Aworan

My new (working) tutorial for vlc is out : [Tutorial] - Build (or download) VLC with hardware acceleration video decoding [OPENMAX-IL]

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Will be looking into this right now, and see how well you’ve done the work…

And will be helping you on the beta-testing programme :grin:

Thank you carriba !
Send us feedback :slightly_smiling:
Together I think we can improve our raspberry pis !
I have some other ideas I will publish a post soon with some points to improve !
Stay tune !

carriba, look at the change I made to the configure, adding compiler optimizations. Give that I try when you build VLC.

FYI, the newer build (Ubuntu MATE 16.*) has OpenMAX IL implemented in VLC. You just have to select it.

1 Like