Cpu Frequency Scaling Monitor applet instances not always showing up at login

Hi, I like to keep track of my CPU's cores with 4 instances (one for each core) of CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor, on my MATE Panel.

Unfortunately, it often happens that when I log into Mate, not all the desired instances of the applet are showing.
My current workaround is to logout, login again and hope all instances are there. Many times it takes only 1 re-login. Sometimes it takes more. It seems random.

Have you experienced a similar issue? How would you solve this?

Thanks for your time

Hi @korw,

Yes, I have run into this over the years. Not the CPU cores applet in particular but various ones. It’s like a time race where the applet that fails starts before the panel is fully ready. I always figured the second login is successful because things are cached and the timing changes.

Here’s a technique that has worked for me but I rely on my personal startup file:

When those applets fail, open a terminal and test this:

mate-panel --replace &

This should verify the panel starts up ok.

Then, the permanent solution is place this exact command in the startup file after some delay like 2 or 5 seconds, whatever works. You will likely see a bad panel replaced during boot with this in place.

There are ways to make a single startup entry with a delay but I’ve used this personal startup method for so long I’d have to research and test the sh commands. :slight_smile:

I had the chance to try this command out, today. After the third or fourth attempt, it loaded the correct number of applets I expected.
So it avoids me logging out and in, but it still doesn’t solve the problem in a clean way.
I guess I just have to accept the situation and forget about solving it.
Thanks @Bill_MI for your support!