Create a new indicator applet variant

Hello folks, i use the indicator applet complete but on MATE 16.04, it didn't have this button of "Shutdown options" attached to it but now on 18.04 it does, i use panels, and i already use the shutdown button on the same panel, a lot of users like me have the same panel setup, it becomes redundant because one is forced to keep two "Shutdown" buttons when one of them will never be used. Could you please create an applet variant in this case? Or just allow users to remove this option as it is possible with the Bluetooth plugin? It would be great. That's all. Thanks for MATE, this is a great distro and keep up the great work. Best wishes.

1 Like

It looks like you’re using a separate “shut down object” on the panel(the red one), you can remove it if you want and use the “shut down options” of the indicator applet complete.

Hello @Apollonius, actually I want to do the exact opposite of it. I wanna keep the red one and be able to remove the other one, attached to the applet

you could possibly uninstall the applet but there is currently no gui way to to turn it off I hope that changes as I have mentioned in other posts, but for now uninstalling it (if it does not remove all of the indicators) or disabling it (possibly you can by removing it from the startup applications list) is what is possible

1 Like

@Bernie, Yes, i am keeping both of them actually, but I just use the red one. Let’s see when MATE team will allow users to remove this other shutdown button from this applet. I hope soon. Thanks for your reply my friend :+1:

well I believe you can remove the shutdown section from the applet as they are separate indicators in the startup applications and you may be able to just uncheck it there, and if that does not work the indicator applet is made up of several different indicators (you can also add various indicators if you wish) and they can generally be uninstalled individually, so for example you could uninstall the sound indicator without uninstalling the network indicator, it has to be done through command line presently but it can be done, but I guess if you do not want it uninstalled you could try disabling it in the startup applications of the control center, but i’m not sure that works

1 Like

@Bernie, i don’t know if it will work but I will try. Thanks :+1:

If you would like to disable the shutdown icon of indicator-applet-complete, go to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-session/and rename indicator-session-service adding dot disabled. Log out and log back in and that icon will be omitted. Be aware that this will limit your panel options in Mate Tweak until you reverse the .disabled service. Good luck @caiodev.

2 Likes

Oh, thank you @mdooley. I will do that :+1:

Do you have a plan to implement this feature? Without having to put this .disable? Thank you

You would have to ask the development team that question. I am a user just like you caiodev.

I see. I thought you were part of the team. But fine, thanks for the tip :+1:

You can uninstall indicator-session and achieve your goal. What @mdooley says works too, then you don’t have to reinstall the package if you want to go back, just rename that file again.

What I would like is for all these indicators to able to separately included in their own applet. A generic single-indicator-applet that can be configured to contain any installed indicator. That would be cool and add a lot of flexibility and configurability!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more @pepa65. That’s what I think as well. Thanks for this tip. I appreciate it :+1: