Cursor freezes randomly

I’m using 16.04 on a Dell XPS 13 (L321X) and love it, but i’m noticing a bug in that occasionally, the pointer will freeze. The touchpad still allows for clicking, just not movement. the keyboard is uneffectd. The last two times this occured, Google Chrome was open, but it has occured without Chrome being open as well. I it has occurred using Marco (software compositor) and Marco (Compton GPU compositor) Using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to log out will restore functionality, but will also close everything that I had open, which is becoming a bit of a pain at work. Does anyone knw how to fix this?

Hi @chasbel2112,

often a full system update will solve such problems, have you done so?:

I have, it was one of the first things I tried actually

In case this gives you some more info, plugging a USB mouse in after the pointer freezes will allow for movement again, but with the mouse, not the track pad, which is obviously not ideal

My dell laptop does not suffer from this, but this looks to be a dell related problem.

https://www.google.com/?client=ubuntu#channel=fs&q=cursor+frozen+Dell+XPS+13+launchpad

1 Like

Uncheck “Disable touchpad while typing” in Mouse settings. That works for me on my Dell Inspiron N5110.

I installed the packages that were in the link above for the fix, but unfortunately still had the issue occur while using chrome. I can’t say that it’s happened every time I use chrome but it does occur when using it a lot.

I’ll see if unchecking disable while typing does the trick

At the risk of jinxing it, I’ve been freeze free for 24 hours!

1 Like

@chasbel2112 If you are still freeze free can you identify what fixed the issue and mark the relevant post as solving the issue. Sounds like other people might benefit from knowing the solution :slight_smile:

I had the same problem with an ASUS Eeebook E202s using Ubuntu MATE. The suggested workaround worked fine so far!!