Default application discussion

In other news, Earth’s oceans are attracted to its moon, thus causing an increase in their tide.

Seriously I said prophecy about this awhile back because I saw this one coming far and away; Canonical may be our sun, but GNOME team had always been Ubuntu’s moon.

About the use of CSD’s (context-sensitive, client-side, Counter-Strike, whatever CS means) developers should keep those as shortcuts and allow users to disable those at-wlll. Sadly, GNOME’s CSD stuff isn’t optional. Just think how great it would be if GNOME team came up with a separate window decorator for that to use as shortcuts to common actions rather than integral interaction features for software? But nope, GNOME made it mandatory. Oh well.

A big yes to gthumb please. One of the first things to be installed on a clean version.

No views on an e-mail client myself but my parter and parents all use Thunderbird and would like to keep it I guess.

2 Likes

Looking at the Thunderbird mailing lists, development is struggling to maintain momentum through lack of resource, and because the overall road map to migrate away from the back-end that Mozilla no longer supports is literally several years long.

It’s looking like Thunderbird will have a slow and painful future ahead, I’d love for it to continue to be supported because it’s my mail client of choice, but at the point where plugins and maintenance both fade away, the alternative needs to be mainstream enough that it’s well-supported and capable of being resilient to most use-cases. I don’t have any experience of Evolution that’s recent, so I can’t comment in good faith about its quality. I hope you’re able to give Thunderbird some level of life-support, because its future is also dependent on people using it.

2 Likes

@mrnhmath So Pix is basically a gThumb fork then.

I forgot to mention that :stuck_out_tongue: It’s part of the X-Apps

I would rather stay with thunderbird, which is multiplatform and has shared user management with other s.o. (Very useful in dualboot)
But if it was not possible due to the discontinuity of the support, evolution is probably the best alternative …
But ubuntu, which has passed to gnome, will still remain at thunderbird? Because in this case ubuntu-mate might be quiet for the LTS (imho)

Photo
Personally for photos I use gthumb as organizer, and EOM as viewer … as default? I hope one of these two, but not shotwell

thanks

4 Likes

If you change the default mail client, people who used the old default one will be asking how to import their mail archive into the new one. I think this should be taken into account.

7 Likes

Eye of MATE and have no mail client pre-installed.

I think this is just common sense and that seems to a hallmark of MATE.

1 Like

I keep trying other email clients every once in a while, but for me it’s Thunderbird only.

As for having gthumb alongside eye-of-mate, great, otherwise I’d install it myself, but always with libgtk3-nocsd so I have normal windows borders.

Very committed to Ubuntu MATE, as long as I can use the software I require.

I like the idea of X-Apps.

In Thunderbird I have been reusing my .thunderbird folder for many years, intuitive to move/backup/restore, no special tools needed.

3 Likes

My wife uses Thunderbird, thanks for the tip.
Don

Unfortunately I do not see valid alternatives to Thunderbird,
For pdfs I installed MasterPdf editor and to display the images Gthumbs and I also installed XnView
( MasterPDF and xnView are both great software, free for personal use).

LIbreoffice: I uninstall and replace it with Libreoffice Still, then I also install OpenOffice.
In my opinion, it would be fairer to install Libre Office Still as the default rather than the unstable version,
The software I find completely useless and that should be removed from the default are: hexchat and pidgin.

1 Like

So was any confirmed decision made for 17.10 in relation to the default mail client?

As far as I know, Thunderbird will continue to be the default in 17.10 (no changes for now).

3 Likes

Hi, sorry for resurrecting this old topic but I didn't find any newer ones.

I just installed Ubuntu MATE 20.04 and I saw that it comes with evolution preinstalled.
Evolution has had a lot of internationalization issues, is very heavy, and not cross platform.

That "cross platform" bit is very significant; many people use Linux along with Windows and prefer to use the same email client in both operating systems.

Can we revert to Thunderbird as the default? AFAIK it's no longer on life support, is it? Wikipedia states:

Since the memo in 2015, Mozilla has brought Thunderbird back in-house in an announcement on May 9, 2017, and continues to support its development. The Thunderbird development team has also expanded by adding several new members and has undergone an overhaul on security and user interface.)

2 Likes

I also will be sticking with Thunderbird, until it is dead, buried and forgotten. Yet I do not use the default version, as Google will not allow it because it sees it as unsecured.. I use the Ubuntuzilla version as that is acceptable to them. While no fan of Google, I have an android phone, so have little choice. Yahoo mail does not present the same problem. If you are interested here it the link at Sourceforge.
https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/wiki/Main_Page/#installation

2 Likes

They are what they are, because they are intended to be the "Best" applications for the intent of the system; to be secure and stable. However you can install other software if you like. I have a preference for Vivaldi but I understand that isn't entirely open-source since it uses Google's Chromium as its base.

This is the great thing about open-source; you can make it whatever you want, regardless of defaults so long the software for what you are trying to do exists.

Hey Don,
Gmail will tell you the default Thunderbird is un-secure. If you want to use Thunderbird for Gmail, you can download the ubuntuzilla version and that will work fine. You can find the official repostitory and instructions at sourceforge.net.

https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/wiki/Main_Page/#installation

I hate Google, but I am to cheap for an Iphone, so have to have a Gmail account for my Android cell phone. Waiting for a commercial phone to offer a Linux OS!

1 Like