Developing a Window Buttons Applet for Mate

Would be great to see it in default ubuntu-mate installation.

By to use marco-style buttons , do you mean Marco theme ? If so , I already made icon themes support . Just no good with GIMP and can’t recreate some of the cool themes like Arc,Ambiance and etc. {Should document how to create icon themes - Note to me }. I did it with icon themes 'couse its more easy to implement , I mean the theme parser is around 4000 lines in C . Not worth it for a applet.

How can i use custom icons in that way? Are there some theme ready to use except Black and White ones? It would be also great to have an FAQ or how-to file that will explain the features and how to use them. Thanks for quick answer.

For now nope . As I said I am not good with GIMP , but users can make icon themes just like regular icon themes . They need to be in ~/.icons/mate-window-applets/ or global /usr/share/icons/mate-window-applets/ . Then you have to change the theme in dconf on path /org/mate/mate-window-applets/window-buttons/theme . Right now I am porting the project to gnu-autotools so FAQ will be done later when I finish porting it .

I have used icons from Ambiant-mate theme to create the theme for window-buttons
here it is: https://share.riseup.net/#7FLdbq6r4T5kogkb-qo-iA (link will be able only for a week, so if someone miss it - let me know - I'll post new one)
It looks like this:

You are welcome to use it in your releases =)

Can I add it to official release ? Will add you as contributor ?

Sure you can. You can add me as contributor or not, just like you want)

OK. Now I made some new themes, so I have 6 themes to share.

Here are some screenshots:
Ambiant-green

Ambiant-MATE

MATE-Flat

OSX-Flat

and two more...

5 Likes

This is very nice . Glad you took the time .

Hello @IvCHo, I just wanted to let you know that we’re tracking a bug that could be fixed by your work:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1707291

In the Mutiny layout, when you maximize a window with the “hide windows decorations” option enabled, there is no way to get the buttons back and so minimize or close the window without using ALT+F10 first.
Your applet, provided it could be dynamically activated whenever the current active window is maximized with no decorations, would be an elegant way to work around this problem.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing! :grinning:

1 Like

Hello all, switched recently from ubuntu gnome.

On Cupertino layout with global menu and “hide windows decorations” this is very amazing.

Nice work. Thanks

1 Like

Yes that is why I made it . Maximus is great for maximizing screen space . Combined with the global app menu it is perfect for screens like mine with resollution 1440x900 and lesser . But the only thing that is missing is the obvius 3 buttons witch everyone knows (close,maximize,minimize).So i tried to redo previous applets that did this but failed .Then I came with my own idea. I tried mimicing the existing applets behaviour like if no window is shown hide the buttons. I am now porting it to vala (suspended untill I get a new charger for the laptop). So if it does not work somehow pls pile a bug report on github and I will fix it and push it to master.

4 Likes

@IvCHo You have PM :slight_smile:

Well I would like to annouce that vala port is doing great . I even added a settings dialog

6 Likes

So happy to hear this great news :slight_smile:️ Feature freeze is approaching for 17.10 so I’ll work on introducing this to Debian and create a PPA when you have something ready for testing :grinning:

Ok the vala port is ready and pushed to github master branch . Switched to meson build system since it is easier for me and is cleaner for the source code than autotools.

Hope people enjoy this . :smiley:

4 Likes

Hello, if i want to build i get this error:

Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/pkg-config (0.29.1)
Native dependency glib-2.0 found: YES 2.53.6
Native dependency gobject-2.0 found: YES 2.53.6
Native dependency gtk+-3.0 found: YES 3.22.19
Native dependency gdk-pixbuf-2.0 found: YES 2.36.5

Meson encountered an error in file meson.build, line 29, column 0:
Native dependency 'libwnck-3.0' not found

but libwnk-3.0 (3.24.1-1) is installed.

are there other dependencies?

– Sorry, my english isn’t good

Do you have libwnck-3-dev installed ?

ahhh sorry, my mistake, now it works fine. thanks for the great work !!!

EDIT: ok i made a theme with the Numix close, minimize and maximize .svg icons.
So far it looks good, but what do you think about, to use the icons from the already used theme?

if you wish i commit the theme to the brokoli-mate git.

3 Likes