Dim screen contents after wake from suspend

First of all a clarification: technically I'm not running Ubuntu Mate, rather it was Ubuntu 21.10 with desktop changed from Gnome to Mate.

The issue I have is that randomly when the laptop goes into suspend mode, on waking up the text and graphics are extremely dim.
I can add brightness using the keyboard function keys but even then at 100% it's impossible to read anything on the screen. I don't know how to explain it properly but a good analogy is printer out of ink.

I have searched on the net and all posts I've seen seem to talk about changing power settings to manage suspend. This for me is frustrating since it's random and as far as I can tell all the power and brightness settings are fine.
I have tried adjusting brightness using brightnessctl following advice from forums but it doesn't resolve what I'm facing.

So far the only solution is to kill mate-session (if on WiFi I connect via SSH from my phone and kill the session) or perform a hard start. Either way I lose what I'm working on.
Once the mate session is killed the login screen is displayed normally, with all graphics and cursor, etc.

It happens at least 2 times a week.

Anyone experienced this? And how was it resolved?
What should I check next time it happens?

Edit: Logging in after killing mate-session requires I log out again since the menu bar and the task bar are not displayed.

Machine: HP Spectre 360, Core i7, 15"

Graphics:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)

01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX150] (rev a1)