Disable alt- Left & Right Mouse click

This has been asked countless times in the regular Ubuntu forums but none of the suggested solutions (using d-conf editor, etc) seem to work for me. Can any ubuntu-mate users chime in? How to disable left & right mouse button clicks in the desktop?
ie most 3d programs use these shortcuts

Dconf did not work?

Should also ask what window manager your using. In terminal:

update-alternatives --get-selections | grep x-window-manager
1 Like

v3xx. Thanks. I gave it a 2nd try. Was editing the wrong setting before. Simply switching Super for Alt and now my option LEFT RIGHT clicks work in my 3d programs.

2 Likes

And welcome to our forums :slight_smile:

I had the same issues with using Blender, but I needed Super + left mouse for another custom application. I attempted to make this work by setting the custom value to Alt and Super (both in angle brackets). Well, that appeared to work fine when I tested it by holding down both and dragging a window around. Except... that later on it will randomly grab the window when I right click on anything. Then it will drag that window off into space (off the screen) and not release it-- ever. The CPU goes through the roof when that happens and control of the keyboard and mouse do not return. Some keys on the keyboard work, I can SysRequest obviously. I can also get to a virtual term and kill the app that got drug into space, which frees the focus and life goes back to being happy again... until the next random grab.

I am now trying Alt then the plus sign + and then Super (alt and super in angle brackets), which disables the mouse-button-modifier entirely, so it is obviously the wrong syntax. Frankly, that is all I wanted to do anyway, as this "feature" was never used by me-- since the titlebar always worked just fine. Perhaps a dconf feature to just turn this off instead of letting me move it to some other modifier combo I would still rather use for something more useful is in order? Or at least fixing the window manager so it doesn't loose its mind when multiple keys are added?

Ok, so SUPER with the PLUS SIGN and ALT did not work, it just ignores the invalid key combo and goes back to ALT. My bad. Searching around, I stumbled upon this: http://ubuntuguide.net/disable-alt-click-moving-windows-ubuntu-12-04 which showed that older gnome2 window manager supported nothing for the key combination. So I just put nothing (totally empty text box) in the dconf mouse-button-modifier custom value box and clicked apply and now ALT left mouse no longer moves the window around. So hopefully that fixes everything for me and this is now disabled. :slight_smile:

I know this is old, but perhaps my struggle finding a solution to this can be useful for someone else.

Edit: Because this thread is about disabling the binding, and my solution is about temporarily disabling the binding, i moved the answer to my thread which was specific for that purpose. And add a link to it here instead. I hope that is cool with everyone...