Disks mounting and naming etc

I was wondering about my partitions that I set up during my new install on my new computer. First, everything seems to be working. I am curious about the mounts. My / is on sda5 home on sdb1. My question is why are these not in order and in comparable filesystems? Seems all over the place. Is there any problem with the way they are configured?

mickee@mickeymouse2:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           1.6G  2.1M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/sda5       110G   20G   85G  19% /
tmpfs           7.8G  5.2M  7.8G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
/dev/sda1       140M  5.3M  135M   4% /boot/efi
/dev/sdb1       916G  174G  696G  21% /home
tmpfs           1.6G  248K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sdf1       1.8T  1.6T  180G  90% /media/mickee/Masonic
/dev/sdd1       932G  393G  539G  43% /media/mickee/Cinosam
/dev/sdg1       3.7T  349G  3.3T  10% /media/mickee/new
/dev/sdc2       1.8T  1.4T  339G  81% /media/mickee/GAOTU

df -h | sort will sort on the first column so sda1, sda2, sda5, sdb1, etc.

tail +2 will chop the first line (headers). All together, df | tail +2 | sort

you can make your own alias ... alias mydf='df | tail +2 | sort'

mydf produces the desired output.

EDIT:
if you really want the headers, df | head -1 will output the headers only.

alias mydf='df | head -1; df | tail +2 | sort'

1 Like

so / on sd5 is not a problem? Like why not on sd0 or sd1?

sda is your first disk (about 120GB),
-- sda1 is /boot/efi,
-- sda2 is probably a logical partition and inside that,
---- sda5 which is / ... all is well.
You can use sudo parted -l /dev/sda and post the output.

sdb is a second disk (about 1TB) and
-- sdb1 is /home ... fine.

you have other disks ... sdc, sdd, sdf, sdg -- each have one partition indicated with 1 with the exception of sdc that has sdc2 (what happened to sdc1 ?)

2 Likes

Thanks @pavlos_kairis !

note of another thing. In the left column of caja, all USB disks are named in gparted, yet 2 of them are just denoted as 2.0 TB Volume and 4.0 TB Volume. How do I get caja to display the name of the partition (or the hard disk)?

Screenshot at 2023-02-05 13-59-11

They do have names in gparted, same as the other 3 disks @pavlos_kairis - any idea?

I decided to LABEL the partitions. Now they aren't mounted and the option to mount is grayed out

2 Likes

Hi, @mickee.

I've found the following older (March 2021) related topic here in the Ubuntu MATE Community:

In that "Caja device Names" topic, the accepted answer (Solution) is the following one by @Marcel_Karnat :

So, I suggest that, in GParted (GNOME Partition Editor), you right click on each one of those two ext4 filesystems (that belong to USB disks), then choose the "Label File System" option from the context menu and then write a label for each of them (it's possible that you have to unmount them first).

In a related note, you can see the names and labels of your devices using a command such as the following command (which is intentionally excluding the "loop" devices from the output):

lsblk -o name,size,label,type,mountpoints | grep --invert-match 'loop'

1 Like

In screenshot did you click on the drive. In my system I have 3 partitions and I have to click on one to enable mount/unmount.
When I click on one it shades it.

2 Likes

in gparted you can do a few commands but you have to click the checkmark to execute them. I dont know why caja mounts the 3 disks with names but not the 2.0TB, all are mounted under /media

2 Likes

I ended up just disconnecting the drives and now they are mounted and all labels showing in caja. Thanks Guys!

1 Like