Do Caja / Fuse mounts now retain mtime?

I went through drive-fail hell last week. Long story short, my headless server backups came through with flying colors but restoring to a new drive over the weekend did not.

I’m in the process of restoring (about 1.5 terabytes) for a second time using slooow scp. It seems Caja fuse mounts creates a new mtime!!! Not on directories, but only on files (something that gave me false confirmation mtime was ok). I was not a happy camper.

This is all 16.04 LTS (Ubuntu-MATE in the middle of Ubuntu Servers). I vaguely recall a mention about retaining timestamps. Anyone know if this has been corrected in recent versions? TIA

1 Like

I don’t think so unless 17.10 beta now has this feature which it didn’t 10 days ago. You still must use rsync which works quite nicely. I use grsync when a gui is more comfortable. Good luck Bill.

Edit: See bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/332646

Edit #2: A possible fix is on the way. See - https://www.bountysource.com/issues/23459433-gvfs-should-set-file-attributes-properly

4 Likes

Another vote for grsync, - it’s an excellent front-end, and offers a few extra options such as sync sets, exporting profiles, and dry runs. (Having had a few sleep-deprived rsync mishaps in the past, I’m very grateful for that feature!)

3 Likes

I use the dry run feature just about every time. I’ve also set up special profiles for things I do often. Yes, grsync is great.

Hi @mdooley and @BrokenCanoe and thanks for the input. Yes, the backup is all with rsync, daily incrementals using LNK and everything ssh keyed. I spent a lot of time generating this a few years back and haven’t changed the backup part. The servers running it are usually headless and no DE.

But it’s that RESTORE I have so little experience with. :confused: Yes! I can see the power of grsync. When I update the servers to 18.04 I’ll probably break tradition and load a DE. Probably MATE. :grinning:

Egad this timestamp thing has been one of THOSE bugs. Yes, I used sftp://links but I’ll be mounting in the future - this OLD OLD bug has me never trusting GVFS again.