Do you dual boot Linux and Windows?

This is why I encourage everybody who dual-boots to either use a separate device, or install bootloader on SDA and get it over with. Worse case, you can use ms-sys to install the Windows 7 MBR on SDA since 8 and 10 use it as well.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only dual-booted a small amount of times. I simply found myself being able to do most things on GNU/Linux. I do keep a Windows laptop around (totally disconnected from everything) for porting programs but thatā€™s it. But then since the RaspPi3 has become my default computer, itā€™s not hard to choose sides.

1 Like

Yes I have daul booted (W7 & U-vanilla 14.04) in a W7 Enterprise environment.

As a non-technical user I can only say that I will avoid going down that path again. Bare metal or VM would be my choice.

I used to dual boot back in the ā€˜dark daysā€™ but have not done so since 2005.
I still have an old machine that is configured to dual boot but that is just an old standby now.

I donā€™t dual boot, because for the sake of freedom I can do without a few special games or special programs. And of course Windows 10 is actually totally ridiculous.

I just run Ubuntu Mate without dual booting. I have a gaming PC and a MAC laptop, which I havenā€™t used in a very long time. I find Linux not only more fun but also a lot quicker and faster to get my work done with.

When I say ā€œDual-bootā€, I mean to say I run Linux from USB. I am so use to it, that one of these days I am going to disconnect my USB-connected disk drive without realizing Ubuntu is running, lol

Hi @tiox,

isnā€™t that cheating, I mean using a USB stick?, only joking of course, for anyone that doesnā€™t know all or anything about what ā€œDual Bootingā€ is:

1 Like

Iā€™m a dual booter and Iā€™m proud of it LOL is it such a word BOOTER? I have 5 machines and only one Iā€™m dual booting I removed all of Windows and keep Windows 10 for comparing and trouble shooting purposes only.

And I can see my self moving away from Windows altogether :joy:

1 Like

I donā€™t dual-boot anymore since November last year. And I donā€™t plan to ever again do it. I think Iā€™m clean now and I must thank Dual-boot Anonymous for their support. At first I was too ashamed to speak, but got a lot of support from them and when I finally got the courage, I let go all of my frustration accumulated during years of dual-booting. And when I wept like a child, ashamed of what I was doing to me and family and friends, they all got up from their chairs and cherished me, letting me know I was no monster, but a human being. I was just a dual-booter and the most important thing is to recognize myself as one. Thatā€™s the first step to cure.

So, if you are a dual-booter, look for the closest Dual-booters Anonymous to your location and go to those meetings. I tried medical doctors, self-prescription, yoga, religion, psychologists, psychiatrists. I even signed myself in for detox twice. Nothing worked. But they help! toll-free number: 111-111-HELP.

ā€¦

I know Microsoft since the mid 80s and I had been a customer since. But when the first reports of Window 10, still under development, were coming out, it started to become clear to me that this was no longer a company I could feel good as a customer. Their business practices and decisions, along with their planned goals, were alienating too much what I feel are my rights as a consumer and my own interests as a computer power user. This was confirmed a few months before WIndows 10 release with all the news on the upcoming operating system behavior. So, after whatā€™s just short of 30 years, I finally pulled the plug, completely, on Microsoft. I had been a Linux user for the past couple of years, so the transition wasnā€™t difficult at all. Besides this would have been the second Microsoft OS I would be skipping in a row (I also skipped the Windows 8 nonsense entirely) and had skipped Vista, before 7 finally came up and allowed me to upgrade from XP. So, the writing was already in the wall.

It could have been career changing (I am a software engineer by profession). But luckily Iā€™m nearing the end of my career and I donā€™t exercise my profession for the past 5 years, having chosen the path of teaching for the last stretch of my career.

So now, dual-boot is not necessary or even desirable. I plan to learn all I can about Linux and remain with it, doing all my pet projects in it and just leading a quiet and tranquil computing life.

10 Likes

Good post @marfig, good luck with the teaching thing!. :thumbsup:

When DirectX 12 and on for Linux, a wrapper for DX12 and on or Vulkan is used more extensively, and when older games are ported to or use a wrapper for DX11 to use Vulkan then I can see myself completely dropping Windows.

But so long all the good stuff uses DirectX, I see no sense in completely abandoning Windows. Maybe the ReVive devs can make a Vulkan wrapper for DX and integrate their work into Wine 2.x?

(Also, I could build a rather killer Linux rig I can VM into Windows with, which would work for most use cases but thenā€¦ why would I VM a Windows session where things might play up because of some software not being VM-friendly?)

1 Like

But only Windows can give you the thrills and excitement of automatic updates and unexpected app-installs. Windows 10 is living on the edge, not knowing what will happen next time you boot your computer. Itā€™s excitement in its purest form.

Donā€™t be ashamed of your past. I have seen people from all walks of life staring at the cold blue Windows logo. Itā€™s a human weakness. We are not perfect but that is what makes life interesting. Sometimes itā€™s necessary to stare into the darkness to appreciate the light. Then when you boot into Ubuntu MATE you experience the highest bliss possible.:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No, I can no more stand windows. Hopefully I donā€™t need an application that exists for windows and has no linux equivalent.

1 Like

Admit I do dual-boot, but only with linux, mostly openSuSE and Ubuntu.

BTW from time to time do try puppylinux and others.

Wondering IF dual booting with linux versions is considered normal ?

1 Like

I multiple boot - Win 7, UM 16.04, UM ??

Have not dual boot for over 10 years. And donā€™t regret it a bit :slight_smile:

I am trying to make Ubuntu Mate my main desktop OS. However, I am still a gamer :grin: :video_game: . Linux is not well optimized for most video games that I play. I hope that changes in the future. So my Windows 10 installation is on another SSD for games only and other software I can not run on Linux.

Computer OSes are simply tools - choose the right one for you to get the job done!

Iā€™ve decided that some form of dual booting will be in my computing for a long time. My dual boot solution is 2 internal hard drives (SSD for Win 7, and HDD for UM LTS) - since I experienced difficulty using GRUB and Win 7 updates I reverted to using BIOS to select my boot drive, of course GRUB is installed on my HDD only.

Iā€™ve been dual-booting Windows and Linux since 1998. In that time Iā€™ve developed a pretty good working knowledge of LILO, grub, grub2, and the Windows boot system :wink:

I had to have Windows for my consulting gig, and more recently to support my partner in her work/academic work - she needs to be on Windows for a slew of reasons. A lot of the time, the software to support the equipment she uses in the field is only available in Windows. Now sheā€™s working on her Ph.D., (and working fulltime), and she canā€™t really take on learning Linux on top of everything else. She also needs to run ArcGIS, which is Windows-only. Some people really do need Windows.

So I have Windows to be able to be her IT guy - I donā€™t particularly need it for anything myself, and spend most of my time in Linux. But once in a while, I need Windows for some oddball legacy reason. For the most part, though, my Windows partition is just a big data partition.

1 Like