Does Ubuntu MATE have specific packages installed that aren't in Ubuntu Server?

For some reason, my audio DAC hat isn't working on my Pi.

$ sudo speaker-test -l5 -c2 -t wav

speaker-test 1.1.3

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Home directory not accessible: Permission denied
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1713:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

Does Ubuntu MATE use specific packages for the Pi that isn't available on Ubuntu Server? if it is, and it has other repo(s) enabled, I'm thinking of installing them there. I don't want to erase the contents of that SD card just to install Ubuntu MATE.

I am afraid that your question does not closely relate to the problem you have outlined in your post...
Nevertheless, Ubuntu Mate has many dozens of extra packages which are absent in Ubuntu server. And yes, these packages are available for installation on Ubuntu server from Ubuntu repositories.
I would strongly discourage manual installation of Mate desktop on Ubuntu server, though.

That would indicate that the DAC HAT's installation command:

wget -O - script.raspiaudio.com | bash

failed in some way. Note the script code says its only supported operating system is Raspbian, and it's at best "Experimental" for Ubuntu (Server, MATE, or otherwise). How does the output look when you run the installation script?

Apparently it does not even set -e so some errors might go unnoticed. You could run it explicitly with -xe to debug more closely. You may also look at some of the files that it intends to write and make sure they landed.

And still none of us follow how your HAT question led to asking about package sources :slight_smile: