Don't go looking for other WiFi networks!

I am running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on a Dell Latitude 2100 mini-notebook which has be repurposed as a music player for my workshop. My 400+ album collection, converted to mp3 files, resides on the SSD. The music I want and no talk/commercials :slight_smile: A next-to-no permission account automatically logs in when the machine starts and any music in the queue begins to play.

The computer is connected to the hidden WiFi signal from the router in the house. Normally this is only used to do OS updates. The problem is that there is a lot of WiFi pollution in the area and I see several other networks displayed in network manager. While these are not hidden they do have some level of security (password at least) and cannot be connected to.

However, sometime the computer looses connection to MY WiFi and when it attempts to connect to one of the other “available” networks it brings up an authentication dialog. Most annoying.

Is there a way to tell Network Manager NOT to look for other WiFi networks which happen to float by?

TIA,

Ken

It's possible that the networks are being "remembered". If you click on the network indicator in the panel and choose Edit Connections, delete any other Wi-Fi networks that might be listed, so you're just left with just yours:

As far as I know, the network manager shouldn't connect to any other network unless someone tried connecting to it in the past.

1 Like

Thanks lah7,

I have deleted the unwanted networks from the list but they always come back. As to why the machine tried to connect to one… It has only happened a couple of times. I think the PC might have lost connection to my (hidden) network or an open network might have done a drive by. I did not look closely at the dialog, I simply closed it. After those occurrences back when I made this post I have not seen the issue again.

I guess I am sort of looking for a way to tell network manager not to “discover” other WiFi networks (I think that was the Windoze terminology). I have looked in dconf editor and network manager’ conf file but so far I have found nothing which looks promising.

Ken

@taylorkh
Maybe this is what your looking for?
Click on WIFI Icon in Pannel >> Edit Connections >> Select your Network

Make sure your network is the only one checked like this.
I do not know how to keep it from auto scanning.
Hope it helps

Thank you Blank,

That is how I have it configured except that I have [X] All users may... also checked. As to the "alien" networks, they are NOT shown in the Edit Connections list. Rather if I left click on the Network Manager icon I see

L.....c is my hidden WiFi network which I have confgured the PC to connect to. CenturyLink9298 and Wilson are two neighboring networks which the PC "discovered" in the ether. Notice that they are secured but not hidden.

I suspect the strange events which prompted this post might have been the result of someone in the area firing up an unsecured network. It has not occurred since and I have not established an unsecured network just to see what would happen.

Ken