Driver for wifi dongle Realtek RTL8192EU chipset

Hi!
i have just got my pi2 up and running, and are trying to get the wifi to work. but i am having some major issues with the usb dongle i have. i haven’t been able to find/fix any driver for this chipset that works with MATE 15.10.
anyone have any tips, or advice? everything is greatly appreciated!

i have searched and read a lot, but cant get this to work. i am quite new with this, and haven’t got to much experience with programming or linux yet, so i don’t think making my own drivers or pretty much anything without a tutorial is whitin my reach just yet.

lsusb gives me:
Bus 006 Device 007: ID 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

which i have found to be using the Realtek RTL8192EU chipset.

this site : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reserve-7#TOC-Realtek-RTL8192EU-chipset-0bda:818b-
has a tutorial for making an older driver work with ubuntu 14.04, but not version 15.10.

if anyone have any advice on how to proceed to get this to work i would be very grateful!
Or even if there is other wifi dongles that are better, and a bit more ‘‘plug-and-play’’ than this…

This site might help? (I haven’t read through it!):

hehe, i appriciate your answer but thats the same exact site i’ve linked in the question…
does not work with newer ubuntu version. however, thanks

1 Like

Sorry; I was in a hurry to get out!. :frowning:

Here is a direct link for a package:

http://users.telenet.be/x86_64/Debian/dkms_rtl8192eu_4.3.1.1.11320.20140505_all.deb

I hope it works. :smiley:

Info from here (how’s your Dutch?):

https://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/index.php?topic=86081.msg930664#msg930664

Thank you! i will try this and see if i can make it work finally
dutch is more or less non-existing, but i’m a good friend of google translate! :slightly_smiling:
again, thanks!:slight_smile:

1 Like

when i install the package via terminal i get:

WARNING: unsupported arch: armhf
Loading new rtl8192eu-4.3.1.1.11320.20140505 DKMS files…
dpkg: warning: version ‘-’ has bad syntax: version number does not start with digit
It is likely that 4.1.15-v7+ belongs to a chroot’s host
Building for architecture armhf
Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.120ubuntu6) …

when i open the Downloads folder and right-click on the package, and ‘‘Open with GDebi installer’’ and install from there it works without any errors…
no idea where to go next, if you have any ideas i would be grateful!

Unfortunately, the package @wolfman suggested is not compatible with the Raspberry Pi (based on the arm architecture - PC/Mac are i386, amd64)

Instead, consider compiling the driver, which hopefully will build against the armhf architecture, but there could be a chance this driver is not compatible.

Also on the page, there is a compressed package containing a driver for your chipset.

This driver package is an improved version of the driver package that the Maxxter company provided for a wireless dongle of theirs. The original driver only works in Xubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 13, but the improved version also works in Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17.3.

Here is a quote from How-to-install.txt:

1. Download the driver package Realtek-RTL8192EU-driver.tar.gz into the folder Downloads.
  1. First unpack it in the terminal, because it’s a compressed folder with files. In the terminal (use copy/paste):
    cd Downloads && tar xvzf ~/Downloads/Realtek*.tar.gz
  1. Now go to the uncompressed folder: in the terminal (use copy/paste):
    cd install_folder
  1. Finally: the actual installation. In the terminal (use copy/paste):
    sudo ./install.sh
  1. Plug the wireless dongle with the Realtek chipset into you computer: it should be functional now.
1 Like

hi, and thank you for your reply!:slight_smile:
it says the improved driver will work on ubuntu 14.04, but will it work on 15.10 also?

don’t know if it’s important, but uname -a gives me:
Linux raspi 4.1.15-v7+ #830

i’ve tried following these instructions, but received som errors;

make: *** /lib/modules/4.1.15-v7+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

then, i used mkdir to make the directory myself, and now i got;

make[1]: Entering directory ‘/lib/modules/4.1.15-v7+/build’
make[1]: *** No rule to make target ‘modules’. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/lib/modules/4.1.15-v7+/build’
Makefile:1043: recipe for target ‘modules’ failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Might this be a problem with linux-headers?
see some guys on this site have found a solution to a similar problem;
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67347&p=495080

i could not make it to work for me though… maybe i should start over with a fresh version of ubuntu mate, i think i may have ****** up something important… :frowning:

Sorry for raising your hope :confused: , I forget that Raspi is not the same as normal Buntu!. :confused:

This might be a good place to start if @lah7’s tips don’t work for you!:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=103989

11 posts were split to a new topic: RTL819CU WLAN Adapter

Topic split as it was referring to a different model to @run, the original poster’s adapter .

While RTL8192 CU and RTL8192 EU chipsets may be similar, both will be different under the hood and likely require a different driver.

I can suggest to reflash your Pi’s micro-SD card with the latest Ubuntu MATE, and update to the newest kernel available.

sudo rpi-update