Dual-Boot Ubuntu Mate 16.04

Hey Guys,

Only a few days left until Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is out. So Ubuntu Mate 16.04 should be my new workstation, but i need Windows 10 for a few games. So in the last years, i had every time the same problem with Dual Boot.

1. Windows
  2. Ubuntu
    But after the installation from ubuntu, only windows is starting. So i must install a Boot manager tool to initialize the boot sequenze for ubuntu.
    I heard there is a method to install ubuntu directly in windows MBR, so i can initialize ubuntu over the Boot Window from Windows.

Sorry for my bad english,

Regards,
Tobias

The procedure I normally undertake if, following a dual installation, one or the other distro will not boot is to boot-up with a live CD, download and install boot-repair whilst in the live session and then run it. It works every time and takes all of five minutes.

You can do all of the above from a terminal in a live session with the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

I could be wrong, but I would be willing to bet the above will be quicker than any other method for setting up a dual boot

1 Like

Normally during the install Grub2 will also be installed. Usually on /dev/sda, did you change that setting?

1 Like

Hi,

did you disable “Secure boot”?,

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

1 Like

Hello again,

@stevecook172001
Okay, i´ll test it next time.

@wizd3m
Yea i changed it, i thought this is the right way. Usually i changed it to the hdd where ubuntu is installed. /dev/sdb
sda is my windows ssd. Is this not right?

@wolfman
No, i found a guide on youtube a few months ago. I learned to start the ubuntu installation over /Start/Settings/Updates/Recovery/Advanced Start. The easiest way to bypass the secure boot problem the youtuber said.
Is this a good way?

Hi,

I would go with disable secure boot and enable “Legacy BIOS”!:

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside_8.html

If you installed Grub2 to /dev/sdb you should boot your PC from that drive. Otherwise it will only find the Windows Bootloader. Usually you can choose your drive during boot (on my computer it’s the F8 key). What happens if you try that? Do you get the Grub2 bootloader? Can you than boot into Ubuntu MATE?

I installed MATE to /dev/sdb (I need Windows for work) and I installed Grub2 to /dev/sda, I can boot Ubuntu MATE and Windows.

If your computer is booted in UEFI I would not recoomend enabling Lagacy BIOS. If you do that you can reinstall both operating systems as it does not recognize the UEFI boot entries.

3 Likes