Eric6 Web Browser wont launch

I'm learning python and found eric IDE in the repos in Debian. It looks awesome!!
I installed it and it came with this interesting browser, called eric6_browser. I would like this to work in Ubuntu MATE 20.04 but it does not launch. I tried installing several "web Qt" and Qt5 dev packages from synaptic but no avail. On the debian system I also installed qute-browser and mu-editor. I installed those on Ubuntu as well. I still cant launch eric6_browser (from the terminal), from inside eric IDE, or the MATE menu.

Here is the output:

u@h:~$ eric6_browser

Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_en_US'could not be loaded.
Using default.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/eric6_browser.py", line 200, in
main()
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/eric6_browser.py", line 192, in main
res = Startup.simpleAppStartup(sys.argv,
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/Toolbox/Startup.py", line 244, in simpleAppStartup
w = mwFactory(argv)
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/eric6_browser.py", line 129, in createMainWidget
browser = WebBrowserWindow(home, '.', None, 'web_browser',
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/WebBrowser/WebBrowserWindow.py", line 382, in init
self.__tabWidget.newBrowser(QUrl.fromUserInput(home))
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/WebBrowser/WebBrowserTabWidget.py", line 479, in newBrowser
browser.setSource(QUrl(linkName))
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/WebBrowser/WebBrowserView.py", line 314, in setSource
self.load(name)
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/WebBrowser/WebBrowserView.py", line 225, in load
not self.__page.acceptNavigationRequest(
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/WebBrowser/WebBrowserPage.py", line 136, in acceptNavigationRequest
QWebEnginePage.NavigationTypeRedirect
AttributeError: type object 'QWebEnginePage' has no attribute 'NavigationTypeRedirect'

Im barely learning to draw turtle graphics, launch a qt window with a button and make a landscape calculator in python.

Just want to get this to launch and it wont. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this or knows how to resolve it. Thanks in advance, and HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!

I installed eric IDE and the browser runs on my system, I get the qscintilla error but it continues with default and the browser pops up. But trying to do some things, I get numerous errors on my terminal.

So, I purged it :slight_smile: Have you looked at other IDE like jupyter or spyder or PyCharm?

1 Like

I havent looked at spyder. I have always been fairly turned off by jupyter and pycharm. I have used pycharm community in the past and it was OK, but I guess It wasn't for me since it has a mainstream feel to it. I dont know why I feel there's something too hip, and too "googly" about them.

I really liked the Eric package in Debian, and was bummed I cant get it to run in Ubuntu. I like the underdog, free software vibe it has to it. This isn't really necessary for me though, because I'm such a noob I really just use geany, pluma, and idle.

I get a window pop up in the panel, then nothing. That output is from launching in terminal. I will have a go on a fresh boot later and check logs.

I can reproduce the issue about eric6_browser on fresh UM 20.04.1 LTS VM.
I have reported it to launchpad as bug 1902417 .
It seems to be caused by some incompatibility between Eric and QtWebEngine5 package on 20.04 LTS.

Quick hack is to prevent execution of the relevant code fragment by patching corresponding file:

sudo sed -i "s/0x50e00/0x50f00/" /usr/share/eric/modules/WebBrowser/WebBrowserPage.py

Note: to revert this patch use sudo apt-get install --reinstall eric .

1 Like