Error message when attempting to update

Greetings! I purchased a Chromebook for my daughter to use to play Minecraft. I have since discovered that Minecraft is not available through Google Play, but that I can partition a portion of the drive to run Linux. I have begun the process, but during my attempt to update to the latest software using the following code:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

...I am receiving the following error:

N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.

How should I proceed? Thanks!

The command should be, sudo apt update -y && sudo apt upgrade -y

More importantly, and to the actual point: What you showed us is not an error message, it is a note that goes along with an above error message. However, I can pretty much tell what the problem is -- you added a PPA (personal package archive) for something like Minecraft, and either (somehow) forgot to register the PPA's "signing keys", or the PPA is misimplemented, or maybe you're trying to install a package from the PPA on an unsupported architecture.

Either way, we need to see the full output from the apt-get update command, and when you paste the output into a post here, please highlight the pasted text and then click the </> button above the post editor. That output will get us pretty far, I'm sure, and I think we can solve the problem quickly if you supply us with that information.

TIA.

1 Like