Error when launching Minecraft on Ubuntu Mate on Raspberry pi 3

Doing that command gave me these options to pick.

/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-armhf/jre/bin/java

/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/java

/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-armhf/jre/bin/java

So, if you select the second one, what does java -version give as output?

It gives me this one.

java version ā€œ1.8.0_151ā€
Javaā„¢ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpotā„¢ Client VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

Ok. Can you tell me whatā€™s in /usr/lib/jvm?

ls -l /usr/lib/jvm

total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Feb 25 2016 default-java -> java-1.8.0-openjdk-armhf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jan 24 2017 java-1.8.0-openjdk-armhf -> java-8-openjdk-armhf
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Feb 11 2017 java-8-openjdk-armhf

Ok, can you post the current version of run.sh (without the credentials, of course)?

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 436 100 271 100 165 263 160 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:ā€“:-- 263
todays access token = 4693f1faea3e4b0ba229d39867aab742
./run.sh: 43: ./run.sh: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt/jre/bin/java: not found

Also yes I put the login info. I took it out so no one gets my info u were correct.
I still dont know why it gives me this same error its odd. I have been doing some research and saw another tutorial but it was based on this one. Same thing get Minecraft run.sh all the same. The current VS for Minecraft on run.sh is 1.8.9 WAIT I DID NOT DOWNLOAD IT. U HAVE TO GO TO THE LAUNCHER AND EDIT PROFILE TO PLAY THAT MINECRAFT IF I DONT IT WONT RUN!!!
Remember I did a fresh install im doing it now.

Nope nvm I did that alr

Sorry, I edited my message after realizing that I misread yours, itā€™s normal that it canā€™t find /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt/jre/bin/java.

Try to edit run.sh again and replace the line:

/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt/jre/bin/java \

by:

/usr/bin/java \

Then, try to launch the script again.

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 436 100 271 100 165 385 234 --:ā€“:-- --:ā€“:-- --:ā€“:-- 386
todays access token = 3fde409ecd6b41feb93ed3defcf14902
Java HotSpotā„¢ Client VM warning: Using incremental CMS is deprecated and will likely be removed in a future release
Error: Could not find or load main class net.minecraft.client.main.Main

Does the Minecraft Launcher start if you do this?

cd ~/Minecraft
/usr/bin/java -jar Minecraft.jar

Also, can you give the output of the following command?

ls -l ~/Minecraft ~/Minecraft/Natives

Iā€™m beginning to think that the issue lies with the installation of Minecraft and not Java at all.

Yes it does the launcher does open with /usr/bin/java -jar Minecraft.jar and the other command the output is

/home/izayah/Minecraft:
total 288
-rw-rw-r-- 1 izayah izayah 280212 Jul 12 2013 Minecraft.jar
drwxrwxr-x 2 izayah izayah 4096 Jan 4 18:37 Natives
-rwxrwxr-x 1 izayah izayah 4669 Jan 6 12:12 run.sh

/home/izayah/Minecraft/Natives:
total 2360
-rw-rw-r-- 1 izayah izayah 332152 Jan 4 18:37 liblwjgl.so
-rw-rw-r-- 1 izayah izayah 1031584 Jan 4 18:37 libopenal.so
-rw-rw-r-- 1 izayah izayah 1047168 Jan 4 18:37 lwjgl-2.9.4-nightly-20150209.jar

Iā€™m starting to be short of ideas. Thereā€™s a slight possibility that the jar is corrupted. Just in case, try to redownload it:

cd ~/Minecraft
rm Minecraft.jar
wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/launcher/Minecraft.jar

When you run the script, you just do it with ./run.sh right? you donā€™t run it as root with sudo or something similar?

Iā€™m trying to find reports about a similar error but itā€™s a bit complicated. There are a few bug reports open at Mojang with varying results depending on Linux distros, Java versions and so on.

I guess that Java is correctly installed but it could be an weird issue specific to Ubuntu MATE on the Pi or something like that.

Two things worth noting in the most recent report:

• the reporter is saying that the game works fine with the latest (at the time) developement version rather than the stable version
  • someone in the comments (probably the original reporter) says that the problem is fixed by the release of the new launcher

The issue might be completely unrelated (as, basically, a lot of different issues cause the same error) but just in case, when you run the launcher, is it the old one or the new one?

Do you have more information than in the terminal if you check the log?

cat ~/.minecraft/logs/latest.log

Ok, Im going to do a fresh install and when I get to where I left off I will tell u. It wonā€™t take long.

If you do a fresh install, donā€™t install Java manually as we did, Iā€™d like you to test something.

EDIT: to be more specific, the tutorial you gave refered to another one used to install minecraft on another microcomputer from nVidia. While it seems to have an ARM CPU, it uses the PPA from WebUpd8 to install Oracleā€™s Java, even though this one is supposed to have builds only for x86_64 CPUs.

So, basically, after youā€™vre installed Ubuntu MATE, try the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

and tell me if it works or if it tells you that it canā€™t find the package.

I doubt your previous issue come from Java, though, as it seemed to be installed properly and Minecraft should work on the Pi with OpenJDK anyway (with very bad perfs but it should launch).

Alr we will go through the steps a diff way thanks so much for still helping me. I would figure u would have quit a long time ago thanks u so much.

Donā€™t get too excited, I doubt itā€™ll change anything, unfortunately. :confused:

But itā€™s worth trying.

So, install Ubuntu MATE, update the system, setup the OpenGL driver (up to step 5 in the tutorial), then try to add the PPA and install Java as in my previous message. Tell me when youā€™re up to that point and donā€™t go further, thereā€™ll be one last thing to do before continuing if it works.

I did the commands from the last post and I also when up to the 5th step on the tutorial.
Also when I installed java with your commands on the last command it installed successfully but It said this after install.

#####Important########
To set Oracle JDK8 as default, install the ā€œoracle-java8-set-defaultā€ package.
E.g.: sudo apt install oracle-java8-set-default
On Ubuntu systems, oracle-java8-set-default is most probably installed
automatically with this package.
######################

Ok. Have you tried the command?

sudo apt install oracle-java8-set-default

If the package installs fine (or is already installed), give the output of:

java -version